Narrowband

Baader Hyperion ?

paul schofield

Good evening SGL'ers.

I am currently looking to buy a 32mm ish eyepiece for my f5 reflector for low power visual observation. Is anybody familiar with the Baader Hyperion EPs ? I understand the lowest power is 24mm. My question is, as elements can be removed and rings added etc.  Would I need to get the 24mm version in order to remove elements to get close to 30-32mm focal length.

And also does anybody know if the Hyperion's are any good or at least reliable in use for high/low power observation.

Also I believe one Hyperion can effectively replace 3 EPs. 

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hyperions are nicely made eyepieces but are not that well corrected at the field edges in faster scopes such as F/6, F/5 etc. The fine tuning rings concept is interesting but it does involve opening the optics up (there are optics in the 1.25 inch barrel in all but the 24mm Hyperion) so there is a risk of dust entering the optics.

Another review that I did for the forum was Hyperions vs Vixen LVW's:

Hyperions V LVWs10-10.pdf

3 minutes ago, GazOC said:

I don't think the 24mm Hyperion is compatible with the fine tuning rings. The rings "work" by increasing the distance between 2 sets of lenses to give higher magnifications. The 24mm doesn't have the second set of lenses 

Yes I think you are right Gaz.

Hyperions are better suited for slow scopes. Not advised for f/5 as said above. They will get further from optimal if you unscrew bits of them or change the spacing of their lenses.

GSO plössl 32 mm aren't bad at f/5 with a field of 52°.

A used Meade SWA 34mm (68°) or Maxvision 34mm 68° would mean an improvement. They offer more contrast and wider views than the GSO Plössl.

Explore Scientific 68° 34mm  is essentially the same as the two above and can be bought new.

A Televue Panoptic 35mm is more expensive but might be a bit better than the three 34mm eyepieces above but is more expensive. I think you might need a faster telescope than f/5 to notice any difference though.

Excellent advice guys. I appreciate it thanks. 52 afov is a bit narrow for what I'm after although I have owned gso plossl's previously and I agree they are above average. I know I'm back tracking a bit but think I will go for a 35mm aero Ed. As for around £100 I don't suppose I will find a better corrected 68 degree eyepiece. 

I owned the 30mm when I was quite new to astronomy so probably never used it correctly. And also had a tiny scope that wasn't up to the job.

Thanks all. Great advice as always. 

19 minutes ago, paul schofield said:

Excellent advice guys. I appreciate it thanks. 52 afov is a bit narrow for what I'm after although I have owned gso plossl's previously and I agree they are above average. I know I'm back tracking a bit but think I will go for a 35mm aero Ed. As for around £100 I don't suppose I will find a better corrected 68 degree eyepiece. 

I owned the 30mm when I was quite new to astronomy so probably never used it correctly. And also had a tiny scope that wasn't up to the job.

Thanks all. Great advice as always. 

Oops, exit pupil may be a bit much on the 35, may have to go for 30mm. 

On 13/02/2020 at 19:38, paul schofield said:

Also I believe one Hyperion can effectively replace 3 EPs

Hi Paul, as John has said earlier, the Hyperions are not well-corrected for f/5 or f/6 scopes.  However, on your question of the Fine Tuning Rings (FTRs) a great idea but try changing them in the dark and your cold fingertips are about to drop off...

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 1

Paul,

It's about what you'd expect:

Wide field, Well-corrected at the edge, cheap---pick any two.

Well corrected widefields at f/5:

TeleVue Nagler 31mm--grade A

TeleVue 35mm Panoptic  grade A- (slight field curvature)

Pentax XW 30mm  grade B+ (slight field curvature and slight astigmatism)

Explore Scientific 30mm 82°  Grade B (a bit more astigmatism)

APM UFF 30mm Grade B- (even more astigmatism)

Most other 30-35,, eyepieces with wide fields fall in the Grade C and below category at f/5, like the 31mm and 36mm Hyperions.

That being said, if you don't mind a bit of astigmatism mixed with the natural coma of an f/5 scope, many eyepieces would work as "finder" eyepieces. but if you are serious about creating a low power view with sharp stars from side to side, first get a coma corrector for the scope, then look to invest a bit of money for the eyepiece.  Narrow fields?--you have a lot of good choices.

• Like 2