Narrowband

What a great idea ADM

Alan White

There is one thing I can’t understand. Why do almost all manufacrurers use low grip knobs on their saddles.🙁

Farpoint uses large rubber covered knobs on some of their saddles. Easy to grip and not cold to the touch.

1AB91402-AF4D-4CF0-AF53-CCB5A45F7D14.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I prefer the older ADM knurled knob design to their newer lobed one.

Good to see a manufacturer at least thinking about how to improve the operation of their stuff for a wider range of users.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

I think it's the length of the grip that's relevant... that long tool in the OP allows a hand to grip with all fingers, like a bike handlebar. 

That's exactly it Craig, that is why you get longer, wider, rounder grips on forks, knives etc. for those with grip issues.
ADM should be commended for this and it suggests they / he has some real life experience of this issue.

Just now, johninderby said:

Nice neat job. 👍🏻

Now if the saddles came with proper knobs in the first place...................

Or even with all the same knobs then I wouldn't need to make two more versions 😂

Dave

• Like 1

19 hours ago, johninderby said:

There is one thing I can’t understand. Why do almost all manufacrurers use low grip knobs on their saddles.🙁

Farpoint uses large rubber covered knobs on some of their saddles. Easy to grip and not cold to the touch.

1AB91402-AF4D-4CF0-AF53-CCB5A45F7D14.jpeg

Got one of these on my NEQ6 mount.  Easy to use as noted. 
John 

Yes it’s a standard 5mm socket so you could use any hex key. 

If space is really, really tight you could get one of these 10 pc  hex key sets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neiko-01324A-Screwdriver-10-Piece-Construction/dp/B07GNPD7T6/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2QTZPV4SMSJQ0&keywords=stubby+hex+keys&qid=1581696272&s=diy&sprefix=stubby+hex%2Cdiy%2C174&sr=1-12

1876E597-2477-4A1A-B2C3-E0F1B1D40C23.jpeg

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Yes it’s a standard 5mm socket so you could use any hex key. 

If space is really, really tight you could get one of these 10 pc  hex key sets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neiko-01324A-Screwdriver-10-Piece-Construction/dp/B07GNPD7T6/ref=sr_1_12?crid=2QTZPV4SMSJQ0&keywords=stubby+hex+keys&qid=1581696272&s=diy&sprefix=stubby+hex%2Cdiy%2C174&sr=1-12

1876E597-2477-4A1A-B2C3-E0F1B1D40C23.jpeg

Hi,

I do like this option, so sure.,

Found the product listed here as well - but the reviews give me cause for concern, really.., 

Best., 

bsdsgl84

Hello All,

Interesting reading about the issues and practicalities of tightening the saddle clamps.

A few thoughts from me:-

If spaces is really tight, the knob could be removed and use just a bolt.

Either socket head type for allen key OR a hex head bolt and use an open ended spanner which would allow for access in a very narrow gap. Bit of a pain to clamp / un-clamp, but could at least allow a setup to be assembled.

<blowing own trumpet alert> Possibly a worthwhile consideration when choosing saddles it may be useful to know that when using our Rowan D or DV saddle these will allow the fitment of our Alt-Az adjustment plate for the accurate aligning of two scopes.

Derek.

ALT AZ adjust.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find it's the loosening after say all day mounted for solar that can be an issue !

I'm looking at trying different saddle options as i,m not entirely satisfied with 

my  ADMs ... I'm thinking about Geoptik or even that Farpoint one looks good.

Brian