Narrowband

OVL panaview 32mm or Sky-watcher swa 32mm

paul schofield

Hi all. I need and am about to buy a 2inch 32mm eyepiece for my f5 Bresser Messier nt203 reflector. 

There is a £10 difference in price for the panaview which I'm assuming is down to the broadband coatings. 

Is there a difference with these 2ep's ? Does anyone have experience with them ? Or should I sacrifice f.o.v and go for an Explore Scientific 52, 32mm. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Generally, the 32mm Skywatcher SWA is too not well regarded.  You can search for reviews of its predecessor, the 32mm Celestron Ultima LX.  It's little better than an Erfle.

Usually, the discussion is between the 32mm Panaview and the 30mm Aero ED SWA.  The latter is regarded to be a bit better corrected in faster scopes.  I have the 35mm Aero ED SWA, and it's pretty decent for its price.

If you're willing to jump up in price, the 30mm APM Ultra Flat Field is phenomenal.

Thank you Louis. Oh that is a shame, I think the SW swa looks the business. I did own the aero ed in 32mm but never got along with it. The Aero was kidney bean city for me so I sold it. I know all the EPs I am looking at are considered budget & I shouldn't expect much. I just want a decent 32mm for low power OBS. I am happy to jump up in price for something decent. Thanks for your advice. I will have a look at the APM ultra. Thank you. 

I tested some of the Skywatcher SWA's a while back. The 32mm was OK but nothing more. The Aero ED 30 is better corrected. I guess the 32mm Panaview lies somewhere between the two ?

Here is a link to my report on the SWA's:

I assume that you used the Aero ED 30 that you had with the eyecup in the uppermost position ?. That reduces / removes the kidney bean effect more or less completely for me (non glasses wearer).

On 13/02/2020 at 16:36, paul schofield said:

I think the SW swa looks the business

Hi Paul, I have had quite a bit of experience using the 32mm Skywatcher SWA in my 200P and I loved it, it was also my first upgrade so some sentimental value there.  On axis it is brilliant, well defined stars etc, it is stunning.  However, the stars to the edges do 'seagull', but with its on-axis performance I was very happy.  As others have said, there is better out there, it depends on how much you want to pay. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/02/2020 at 14:24, paul schofield said:

Thank you Robin.  I umm'd and ahh'd a bit. But ended up ordering a Sky-watcher 35mm Aero Ed.  I'm now hoping the exit pupil in my f5 will be ok. 

Did you receive the 35mm Aero ED?  If so, how are you liking it in your scope?

Hi Louis, I've only really used it so far for a couple of minutes in a new scope I was having teething problems with. I can't really give an in depth review just yet. 

I have finally got my telescope working well and so will be able to use my 4 new EPs soon, skies permitting. 

• Like 1