SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sixth sense ?

Saganite

I have recently contributed to various threads regarding covering of mounts on garden piers, and explained that mine has been quite happy for the past 2/3 years. Well,...having survived that battering on Saturday night/ Sunday morning, I felt uneasy , particularly as there is more bad weather to come. So, yesterday I placed  an Astrosystems cover over the mount, before replacing the cycle cover that has given good service over this period.

This morning, following more wind and heavy rain, I found to my dismay that the cycle cover had torn in half and now circled the pier at the bottom, leaving just the Astrosystems cover in place. I felt relieved that I had put this in place , but I did not pull the draw string so as to allow some airflow, and this , it seems , allowed rain to be blown from underneath, and the mount and controllers got fairly wet. They are now exposed to the wind in the hope that it will assist the drying process, and I have to hope that everything works when I attempt to use it.....:sad:

Edited by Saganite
  • Sad 2

I think you got a bit lucky there. With high winds I probably would have stopped everything down as tight as possible and forget about airflow.

Had experience in the past with car covers, wind gets underneath and everything get torn to shreds or blown off completely.

Steve, so sorry to read this, that is not good at all, especially after the cover replacement.
🤞for the drying process, in this case patience will be called for.

I have to say your situation is one of my main concerns holding me back from having a garden pier.
I think I will have to try the charm on Mrs. W abou a push away again to protect the future pier project.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reminder. Just checked under the TG cover over the 130mm 'frac, and it's warm and dry thanks to the electric pet-bed. The ends of the draw string are low enough that I can trap them under a heavy  paving slab. The TG over my HEQ5 (No 'scope mounted) can hook round one of the tripod screws.

• Like 1

Try wrapping the controller in a plastic bag with moisture absorbing sachets, should be able to get some from local DIY store. If not some rice would work.

Don't be tempted to turn it on for a couple of days just in case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Try wrapping the controller in a plastic bag with moisture absorbing sachets, should be able to get some from local DIY store. If not some rice would work.

Don't be tempted to turn it on for a couple of days just in case.

I have decided to remove the mount from the pier and bring it into the house for that very reason Mark.

• Like 2