SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eyepiece recommendation

ApophisAstros

picking up kit soon,

Lunt LS60THa/B1200CPT 60mm H-Alpha Telescope, Crayford Focuser, Pressure Tuner
ZWO ASI178MM USB3.0 Back-Illuminated Monochrome CMOS Camera with SONY STARVIS and Exmor R Technology
SkyWatcher SolarQuest Solar GOTO tracking Mount and Tripod with HelioFind Solar Alignment TechnologyAlso Baader flip mirror

Also Baader flip mirror.

need advice on appropriate eyepieces for observing,

thanks,

Roger

When I had a Lunt LS50 I found a 7.2mm - 21.5mm zoom eyepiece worked well. I think this is the same thing as the Lunt zoom but under different branding and at lower cost:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/ovl-hyperflex-7e1-72mm-215mm-high-performance-zoom-eyepiece-125.html

It works well for nighttime observing as well.

Roger

If you have a Bino Viewer give it a try. I have found with my Lunt LS100THA bino viewing really  enhances the contrast  and detail.

Makes a noticeable difference

I use 24Pans  and have a Denk II  with a power switch so 3 different mags out of one set of eyepieces.

Also have a set of 15 mm for the best days 

Give it a try if you have one.

BD 

C1D45540-AA9A-4538-B2DB-20F127E5F859.jpeg

• Like 1

+1 for the binoviewers, too.

Didn’t want to get into that earlier but I agree that the bins are great on Sol. However, some folks just don’t get on with them, I believe ... 😕

Binoviewers also bring their own ‘challenges’ in respect of achieving focus. This often (usually?) requires some Barlow or corrector element in the train and this extra magnification, in turn, affects the choice of eyepieces.

Edited by Floater

On 12/02/2020 at 20:19, Floater said:

+1 for the binoviewers, too

Didn’t want to get into that earlier but I agree that the bins are great on Sol. However, some folks just don’t get on with them, I believe ... 😕

Binoviewers also bring their own ‘challenges’ in respect of achieving focus. This often (usually?) requires some Barlow or corrector element in the train and this extra magnification, in turn, affects the choice of eyepieces.

I had to buy a OCS from Denkmier special made so they work in Lunt scopes.

Some guys have used barlows with success also

Even with the extra mag , 2.3x for the OCS its a great full disk view.

BD

I use a WO Zoom II 7.5-22.5 mm, which has more comfortable eye relief than the Lunt 7.2-21.5 mm I had before (which otherwise had fine performance). The Lunt's eye relief is fine for most, but if your wear glasses the 18.5mm eye relief of the WO is better. The WO is no longer made, it seems, but I think this Omegon might well be a clone:

https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepieces/omegon-premium-7-5mm-22-5mm-zoom-eyepiece/p,33244#tab_bar_1_select

There seem to be a number of other clones around.