Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

oymd

Dew management: Strips & controller

Looking for a 40cm and 20cm dew heater strips and some form of controller to go with it.

Thanks

Not sure what your budget is but I recently bought 2 dew strips (exact same length as yours) and a 4 channel dew controller for total cost of about £106.

Dew straps from: https://dewheater.com/

4 channel dew controller from: www.dewcontrol.com

Both have worked very well so far including nights where it has been incredibly cold and my laptop would dew up while the scopes have remained solid.

• Like 2

Glad they are working OK Mo.  You need to put your laptop inside some sort of Box to protect it.  Ask Roland he almost ruined his laptop in the damp.  I recently made a very effective laptop bag out of two heavy duty supermarket bags.   

i.e. cut down each side and inserted a V shape out of the other Supermarket bag.  Left a small hole at the pointed end of the V for cable insertion.  If your laptop is set not to switch off with the lid down, you can add a bit of velcro to the front and literally shut the bag while unattended (see last picture).  I tried it recently At Davey Ts it worked a treat.

Sorry to Hijack thread, but the OP might find this useful too.

Not exactly glamorous, but does the job and folded up fits into the laptop bag.  Unfortunately Morrisons only had 1 left so i had to get one from the Co-op, so looks even less glam, but who is going to see in the dark? 

Carole 

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

IMG_0956.JPG

Edited by carastro
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ha ha in all of history, a ThinkPad never got so bling'd up! Probably thinks it's a Mac!

• Haha 3

Yes I know it looks funny.  Previously I used to use plastic boxes, which worked well, but since they don't collapse, they take up a lot of space and using them inside my obsy tent, sometimes would get knocked off the table if wind blew the side of the tent (it's rather restricted inside) and that's not ideal with a laptop inside, cables being pulled and falling onto the imaging rig.

Plus I had to find a solution for my dual rig as I have to use two laptops and no way can i reach the back one when they are inside boxes as they have to be placed one behind each other and I have to pull the back one forward on top of the front one when i want to use it.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro

3 hours ago, Marmo720 said:

Not sure what your budget is but I recently bought 2 dew strips (exact same length as yours) and a 4 channel dew controller for total cost of about £106.

Dew straps from: https://dewheater.com/

4 channel dew controller from: www.dewcontrol.com

Both have worked very well so far including nights where it has been incredibly cold and my laptop would dew up while the scopes have remained solid.

I’ve just bought a controller and 20cm strap from here. Both excellent and very good service. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I’ve just bought a controller and 20cm strap from here. Both excellent and very good service. 

I’ve just checked out the website. They have straps of all sizes, but I cannot see an option for a CONTROLLER?

19 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks for you advice. 
can you please advise with regards to the 4 way controller, there are so many power options to choose from? RCA, cigarette, banana plug? Which one should I order? How will I power the controller if I choose for example RCA?

Also, are the straps on dewcontrol.com not as good as the WW ones?

many thanks 

27 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Sorry, just realised the controller is from dew control.com. 
why not get the straps also from there?

I got the quad controller with the cigarette plug. That seems to be the standard that most dew controllers use. I ordered the straps with the controller from dewcontrol.com. I think the straps are the same ones. 

• Like 1

Contacted Barbara at W&W, and unfortunately the 20cm & 40cm sizes are out of stock. Barbara recommended I check Tim's website. It seems the straps offered by W&W and Tim are identical.

Anyways, ordered the 4 way controller and a 40cm strap. 20cm is also out of stock!

Thanks for all the advice I received.

Best regards

Ossi

• Like 3

By the way...just a thought..

This hobby is RIDICULOUS!!

I might as well take a short trip to the bank, and withdraw all my money and set it alight!!

When will the spending end...???

:)

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, oymd said:

By the way...just a thought..

This hobby is RIDICULOUS!!

I might as well take a short trip to the bank, and withdraw all my money and set it alight!!

When will the spending end...???

It gets worse. I originally came here to buy a Dobsonian (~£200) to rediscover my love for astronomy. A few months later, I had spent close to £2k and now considering building a mini observatory to house my gear.... Or maybe go mono route.... Or how about dual rig? 

Considering how much it rains here, how cold winters can be and how much light pollution we have in most locations, you would think this would be a dead hobby but I am loving it. Every image I capture still gives me a wow factor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, oymd said:

Contacted Barbara at W&W, and unfortunately the 20cm & 40cm sizes are out of stock. Barbara recommended I check Tim's website. It seems the straps offered by W&W and Tim are identical.

Anyways, ordered the 4 way controller and a 40cm strap. 20cm is also out of stock!

Thanks for all the advice I received.

Best regards

Ossi

Barbara did tell me those are the top selling straps so not surprised they sold out. I met both Barbara and Tim at astrofest and both were lovely. Just wait until either have the 20cm strap to order.

For the controller, did you get one with the cigarette plug? If so, you will probably need a wall adaptor to power it. I had one from Halfords that is working fine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marmo720 said:

It gets worse. I originally came here to buy a Dobsonian (~£200) to rediscover my love for astronomy. A few months later, I had spent close to £2k and now considering building a mini observatory to house my gear.... Or maybe go mono route.... Or how about dual rig? 

Considering how much it rains here, how cold winters can be and how much light pollution we have in most locations, you would think this would be a dead hobby but I am loving it. Every image I capture still gives me a wow factor!

Same EXACT situation

Had love for astronomy all my life, but never had the time to really get involved...work, career, marriage kids etc...

Till my 6yr old daughter started studying space at the start of this school year, and BOTH my kids asked for a telescope for Xmas!!

Perfect excuse to convince my wife, and she agreed....so first purchase was just before Xmas last year....

and its been all downhill since....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marmo720 said:

OMG :(
how come? :):):)
I do still feel guilty Mo....
And your thoughts about Obsy vs Mono, makes my guilt even deeper!!!!

P.S. 
As I recall your "garage" roof is not wooden? Quite a nice place.... init? :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

P.P.S. if you will need a hand... Just let me know :)

Edited by RolandKol
  • Like 1