Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deer Lick Group and Stephan's Quintet

emyliano2000

This is why I never throw away data that, at the time, I think it's good for nothing. I revisited my Deer Lick and Stephan's quintet to see how much better my processing skills are after one and a half years.

Here's tonight's attempt

1393056953_DeerLickGroup-PixAppPs1.thumb.png.bda07ade222a9f1b4f0e8b956e39b0ef.png

And my previous attempt:

20181013_092408.thumb.jpg.b2d7ba98567795c955c4f118d5d3b552.jpg

It wasn't very easy to get to this result but I'm really glad I managed to do it properly this time. 

Here's how the pixinsight autostretch looks like. The 450d banding is absolutely terrible. 

received_788033335036534.thumb.jpeg.b06be9c3cf0d8a939c59e964a24aab27.jpeg

Full resolution and other details on my astrobin account:
https://www.astrobin.com/ncv0wn/0/

Emil

Edited by emyliano2000
  • Like 26

Very nice image.  I used to own a 450D and had problems with banding.  I was then given a tip off that if downloading to a laptop, not to have the SD card in the camera at the same time.  I removed it and the problem certainly got a lot better.

Not sure if this is your situation, but if it is give it a try.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, carastro said:

Very nice image.  I used to own a 450D and had problems with banding.  I was then given a tip off that if downloading to a laptop, not to have the SD card in the camera at the same time.  I removed it and the problem certainly got a lot better.

Not sure if this is your situation, but if it is give it a try.

Carole 

Thank you!

Unfortunately I don't have the 450D or any of the telescopes used to shoot that target but as far as I remember, I never kept the SD card in the camera. A friend told me that using the camera at ISO1600 would show a very good improvement but not having the camera anymore, I can't test it. 

The canon banding removal script in pixinsight combined with the background flattening tools in fitswork did a pretty good job. 

Emil

• Like 1

Brilliant, I really like it.  I like the colours and how you have kept some colour in the background sky.  Many, myself included, can have a tendncy to obliterate the sky to make it black and reduce noise.  It's a delicate balanciong act -  but  you haven't done that here due to the quality of your data set and the delicate processing.

Good job!

• Thanks 1