Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

‘Dark Skies’ Parliamentary Group launched

Aramcheck

Hope this Press Release doesn't break SGL rules! (Mods please delete if so)
Cheers
Ivor

News Release from Andrew Griffith MP 

Immediate   

Thursday 30th January 2020 

‘Dark Skies’ Parliamentary Group launched

MPs and Peers have launched a new All-Party Parliamentary Group for Dark Skies in the Houses of Parliament to bring attention to increasing light pollution and the importance of preserving the ability to see a dark sky at night.

The group was launched by Co-Chair Andrew Griffith, MP for Arundel & South Downs and will also be Co-Chaired by Lord Martin Rees of Ludlow, the Astronomer Royal and former President of the Royal Astronomical Society. 

The inaugural meeting took place this week and set out the purpose of the APPG for Dark Skies.  Its aims are to: 

·       Highlight the importance of preserving the ability for citizens to see a dark sky at night;  

·       Promote the adoption of dark sky friendly lighting and planning policies; 

·       Protect existing UK Dark Sky reserves and support potential new reserves; and 

·       Collaborate with international groups such as the International Dark Sky Association (IDSA) and countries hosting Dark Sky Reserves - currently Canada, France, Germany Ireland, Namibia and New Zealand.  

Dr Lucie May Green addressed the inaugural meeting as a Guest Speaker.  Dr Green is a Professor of Physics and a Royal Society University Research Fellow based at the Mullard Space Science Laboratory, UCL’s Department of Space and Climate Physics.  She was also the first ever female presenter of the BBC programme,’The Sky at Night’ and is very active in public engagement, regularly giving public talks as well as supporting her departmental public engagement programme. 

The APPG has already gained support from Parliamentarians across the political divide with a shared interest in providing dark skies over the UK.  The UK already has four internationally accredited Dark Sky Reserves which are the Brecon Beacons National Park, Exmoor National Park, Snowdonia National Park and the South Downs National Park with Gower in the process of applying.  The first recognized Dark Sky Park is in Dumfries and Galloway. 

Andrew Griffith MP said:

“I am delighted that the campaign to preserve our Dark Skies at night and to fight unnecessary light pollution has now reached Parliament where our laws are made. 

If we are to inspire future generations about the wonders of our universe – and to recognise just how special our planet earth is – it is essential that we preserve the ability of current and future generations to see a clear night sky. 

Light pollution is 100% man-made and is easy to remedy through improved design, better enforcement of planning guidelines and innovative new technologies.” 

ENDS

For further information please contact Chris Cook on 07838 911116. 

Notes for Editors 

1.     For further information on Dr. Lucie Green see here:

http://luciegreen.com/ 

2.     For further information on Dark Sky Designations see here:
https://www.darksky.org/our-work/conservation/idsp/

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Great news, hope this effort actually achieves something. As others say, light pollution is the easiest type of pollution to reduce. There's still a long way to go based on my local experience. Unshielded, high lumen LEDs that stay on all night are the new standard here unfortunately. 

Following on, there's apparently a spaceport that's going to be built on the west coast of North Uist at Scolpaig, which by all accounts I can find, is bang in the middle of the darkest sky spot left in the UK... Don't suppose they can turn the lights out when not launching rockets??

Screenshot_20200209-205558.png

Screenshot_20200209-205710.png

Edited by Ships and Stars
  • Like 1

In all honesty I think the only effective way of dealing with light pollution is via a TV advertising campaign informing of the environment laws and consequences of bad lighting. Actual enforcement by councils is also needed, people who are affected by badly positioned lights shouldn't have to fight tooth and nail just for natural darkness. The council's are missing a trick here, think of the penalty notices they could issue just by driving around one night every month. 

Having said all that, this is very good news. 

• Like 5

I think there is zero chance of this ever becoming mainstream.  Too many people do not give a monkey's about space and astronomy and would rather have light blazing down all night.

We forget, the dark is scary for some older and more vulnerable people.

Wish this wasn't the case, but it is and will remain so.  

• Like 2

In some cases the lighting can be extreme and with the growing environmental conciouns I'm hoping it will eventually be seen as antisocial and frowned upon.

I came across a house while dog walking which has 4 doomed non directional external lights, one at the front and 3 along the side. It lights up multiple houses and that entire section of road. I took a photo as I plan on approaching the council to try and discuss the issue in general and clarify their stance. I'm currently thinking over how best to make my approach. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

Light Trespass is an environment crime in the UK dealt with by environmental officers on the same level as noise nuisance.

Only if it meets exact criteria,
just trespass by light = no action of any kind

I know this all too well.

Edited by Alan White
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

In all honesty I think the only effective way of dealing with light pollution is via a TV advertising campaign informing of the environment laws and consequences of bad lighting. 

I think this sends the right message 😀

2018_9336_l.jpg

• Like 1

I do have to agree with the comments that there isn't currently much that can be done. I'm facing the imminent installation of fourteen new unshielded 1,000 lumen dome LED flood lights (yes, 14,000 lumen) along the rear of a business facing our house. They will literally be pointed at our house and the sky above from less than 20m away. The current plan is for them to stay on all night, except three that are already installed without notice - I convinced the health office to get them to turn those off early evening.

I was notified a year ago of this by local planning and immediately filed a detailed objection citing Env Health Regs, Statutory Nuisance, light intrusion, etc, proper type and placement of lights, etc but was flatly ignored.

I've already spoke to the Env Health Officer, but he can only put a word in for me.

The electrician said he would install one and see what I thought, but that means they've already bought and plan on using them.

People don't get it. 

We will have to move, or get a solicitor, fight it, and still probably end up moving...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

Have you tried the local MP, seems like there's a case against the environmental health department also.

Not yet, I'll see if they actually put up all the lights or if they've decided to change that plan and not tell me, the usual course of action. Plus they haven't clarified if they will be on motion sensor or timer, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Env Health Office did convince them to turn the three new 'existing' ones off at a reasonable time, but I generally have steam coming out my ears until they do go off. 

A couple of small downward-facing night lights in conjunction with larger ones on a motion sensor would be ok, but 14,000 lumen worth of unshielded light it absurd for the area it's lighting up. The local train station literally has less lighting and we are maybe 1/20th the area. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling. I hope they take things more seriously when they see the consequence of such ridiculous levels of lighting 🙁

Thank you, even if I wasn't into stargazing it would be an issue with our bedroom windows and it's already impossible to see outside the windows at night with the glare before the current three lights are extinguished. I can't image 14 of them.

Fingers crossed for a happy resolution.

In regards to Ivor's post, there does seem to be more press coverage concerning loss of night skies and light pollution, which in turn has given it more political teeth, so hopefully things will improve on that front. All a matter of balance.

1 hour ago, Ships and Stars said:

In regards to Ivor's post, there does seem to be more press coverage concerning loss of night skies and light pollution, which in turn has given it more political teeth, so hopefully things will improve on that front. All a matter of balance.

Hopefully so. Us humans always do things to an excess, to the point of overload and then rebellion. I'm looking forward to the artificial light rebellion, I just hope it happens sooner rather then later.

• Like 1

We need to prioritise the eco dangers of light pollution over man's social fear of darkness, because the consequence of not having food or oxygen to breathe will be terrifying.

We wonder at the increase of mental health issues but don't question the body harming consequences of the insidious creep of light pollution.

Turn that light out.

• Like 3

Only 14 lights pointed at you, really you have it easy 😉
I have a very similar issue but lights from 3 directions, East, West and North,
thank goodness I have a big open field in front with only 6 led street lights on it!

Getting your EHO engaged is a big moment, my local authority didn't care one iota.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Only 14 lights pointed at you, really you have it easy 😉
I have a very similar issue but lights from 3 directions, East, West and North,
thank goodness I have a big open field in front with only 6 led street lights on it!

Getting your EHO engaged is a big moment, my local authority didn't care one iota.

I thought there were certainly a lot more folks in similar or even worse situations. So far I've been relatively pleased with the EHO for keeping the three operational lights at bay. They are very close to our windows however. 

When all the lights are on, it's probably the equivalent of a Bortle 7 or 8 here because of the intensity, just a complete write-off. On those beautiful, rare nights when everything is turned off, I've faintly observed the Flame Nebula through a 300p under so-so seeing, and we are on the edge of a not insignificant population centre. 

The biggest problem with the flood lights here is the close proximity, they are right on top of us, averaging 15m away. 

My current Plan B in life is to open a year-round dark-sky campground on the west coast of Scotland that also caters for kayakers, stand-up paddle boarding, nature-watching and so forth. Someday perhaps! (Heavily discounted deals for SGL members of course)

• Like 2