SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Betelgeuse can become a black hole

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1130676last paragraph above 

And although there are signs that the dimming may be slowing, it could be that Betelgeuse doesn’t get brighter as expected – and that increases the chances, however slim, that it will explode as a supernova.

“I think it is a low probability,” he said. “But it could.”

also this article 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/science/stargazing-guide-february-betelgeuse-fading-venus-a9314366.html%3famp

Let me say it again.

Betelgeuse is not a threat to Earth or life on Earth.

Oh and a quote from that article:

"But that doesn’t mean – contrary to scare stories in the media – that the core has collapsed, and is about to trigger a supernova. For a start, it would implode in literally a matter of seconds, and the shock wave would rip through Betelgeuse before the outer layers have a chance to fade. So if this dimming were a harbinger of doom, Betelgeuse would have self-destructed weeks ago.

Betelgeuse will go supernova one day, and rival the Full Moon in brightness – but probably not for 100,000 years."

• Like 1

@Damien1975 you seem to be trying to find doomsday scenarios where, by all reasonable scientific accounts, none exist. The most likely scenario is that Betelgeuse will continue as a variable star for years to come, but even if it goes SN it does not represent a threat to us.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Damien1975 said:

Still a little lost what happens if it does not stop dimming and the rate it is dimming then something will happen in our lifetime 

what would happen if it continued dimming?

This is the part that I am unsure of the outcome this can be the worst outcome from what I have seen

Edited by Damien1975

13 minutes ago, Damien1975 said:

what would happen if it continued dimming?

I guess people would stop making  speculative predictions over its possible continued dimming.  After all when a balloon pops it has popped and can pop no more :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac

• Ibbo! locked this topic