Wedge to convert GEQ to an AZ mount (temporarilly !)

Astro-Geek

Another one of my Heath Robinson moments.....  (possibly 🤓)

Could a miser like me get the AZ functionality of the AZ-EQ6 mount from my EQ6 Pro by fabricating a (fairly) simple 52 degree fixed metal wedge with EQ6 mounting points ?

I'm thinking it could be quickly interposed between the EQ6 and its pier (or tripod) to tilt the RA axis back to vertical without touching the latitude adjustment bolts (and adding to the wear of the poor design even if they had the 90 degree angle setting).

It would need to be substantial enough to be quite rigid, but since it would need no adjustment or pivoting that should be practical to achieve.

It could be offset, just like a conventional fork mount eq wedge, to keep the EQ6's centre of gravity over the pier.

I tried searching on here and the Internet, but couldn't find anything on the idea, so maybe it's doomed anyway, for some reason that I haven't thought of yet ?

az wedge.jpg

Edited by Astro-Geek
  • Like 1