SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Have you seen that moon!

Barry-W-Fenner

Just now, Timebandit said:

Nice moon pic . It is surprising how good the old phone at the eyepiece trick works at times. I know I have tried this a few times in the past in the frac. Get the phone in the correct position at the eyepiece and keep the hand steady for a few seconds . Then you can get a real good pic and great detail. Good old mobile phones. Great for a bit of basic AP work 👍

Don't forget you can also use voice activation to take the pics without causing vibrations.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Don't forget you can also use voice activation to take the pics without causing vibrations.

Thats really handy to know, I will have to check this option out. I always seem to get the object nicely lined up, then subtlety poke the button, check the image and I have got a stunning shot of the focuser as hi zoom 😂

Don't get me started on how long it takes my "super duper"Xperia phone to actually take the shot after I have pressed the button. 

I am still waiting for my cheap phone phone holder accessorie to arrive, hopefully that will help.

I can't blame it all on the phone though, I am a bit of a numpty with tech and have no idea what the best settings are for AP

I hope the storm has started to pass over now for you all, it seems to be rieover head here, my 2yr old and 8yr old are currently keeping me safe 😂

Baz 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Thats really handy to know, I will have to check this option out. I always seem to get the object nicely lined up, then subtlety poke the button, check the image and I have got a stunning shot of the focuser as hi zoom 😂

Don't get me started on how long it takes my "super duper"Xperia phone to actually take the shot after I have pressed the button. 

I am still waiting for my cheap phone phone holder accessorie to arrive, hopefully that will help.

I can't blame it all on the phone though, I am a bit of a numpty with tech and have no idea what the best settings are for AP

I hope the storm has started to pass over now for you all, it seems to be rieover head here, my 2yr old and 8yr old are currently keeping me safe 😂

Baz 😊

It is a useful function, even hand holding but even better when using a phone mount as it avoids all vibrations. I feel a bit of an idiot standing in the garden yelling 'Shoot!' or 'Cheese!' at my phone repeatedly but it does work.

If you have a manual or Pro mode, best to use that. Exposure on the Moon will depend on the phase, scope and magnification, but this is what I used last night with my 4" at x36. Set it to manual focus at infinity if possible, although auto may work on the Moon. For handheld shots, if you wear glasses then do put those on to focus before holdingbthe phone up to the eyepiece as that helps. With a phone mount, you can also just zoom in on the terminator then focus that way which is probably the most accurate.

Check out the Smartphone imaging forum for more examples and info.

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/279-imaging-smartphone-tablets/

EDIT We seem to have survived so far with our usual level of destruction 🤣

20200209_094950.jpg

20200113_211349.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Stu said:

It is a useful function, even hand holding but even better when using a phone mount as it avoids all vibrations. I feel a bit of an idiot standing in the garden yelling 'Shoot!' or 'Cheese!' at my phone repeatedly but it does work.

If you have a manual or Pro mode, best to use that. Exposure on the Moon will depend on the phase, scope and magnification, but this is what I used last night with my 4" at x36. Set it to manual focus at infinity if possible, although auto may work on the Moon. For handheld shots, if you wear glasses then do put those on to focus before holdingbthe phone up to the eyepiece as that helps. With a phone mount, you can also just zoom in on the terminator then focus that way which is probably the most accurate.

Check out the Smartphone imaging forum for more examples and info.

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/279-imaging-smartphone-tablets/

EDIT We seem to have survived so far with our usual level of destruction 🤣

20200209_094950.jpg

20200113_211349.jpg

Devastation and destruction

#prayforstu

🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

Devastation and destruction

#prayforstu

🙂

Thank you for your kind thoughts Bobby. I am just thankful it wasn't as bad as Storm Brenda or whatever it was called. That really knocked the stuffing out of us.

20200115_071703.jpg

• Haha 2

I am actually quite shocked as the kids trampoline was on its side when I came down. Last night we put 3 pieces of of a concrete garden ornament pagoda on the tramp to hold it down. 1 piece is in the neighbours garden over by the opposite fence. I can't believe the tramp flung it over a 6ft fence into there garden! 😁 So glad no one was hurt though..

Baz

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner

Not much going on observing wise at the moment folks. The rain is still hitting the windows hard here and the wind is still high 😢 I had a very brief look at Venus earlier with the naked eye in a break in the cloud, that was a nice reminder that its up there beind this horrid weather

Hailstone here, and someone mentioned snow for tomorrow. Still, I'm sure the skies will clear one day and the Moon will be there too to wow us. It's usually a bit grim at this time of year, but I'm pretty confident the best is yet to come. 😊

Read EPIC MOON by William Sheehan & Thomas Dobbins, while sat in front at a nice warm fire, and it will fuel your enthusiasm until our alien neighbour returns. If you don't have that book, then you really need to buy it! 

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Just came in. Bit of a waste of time really. Although mostly clear seeing was attrocious. Looking at Venus was like looking through running water. 🙁

I just had a look out of the window and to my shock the sky is now very clear. I thought I would go outside. The wind is still blowing very fast. I decided not to bother, as you mentioned John I imagine the seeing would be like jelly!! 😊

On 09/02/2020 at 10:55, Stu said:

Thank you for your kind thoughts Bobby. I am just thankful it wasn't as bad as Storm Brenda or whatever it was called. That really knocked the stuffing out of us.

20200115_071703.jpg

Well things got pretty bad here overnight ;)

Moon looked nice again this morning, surprising how much detail was visible at full digital zoom on the phone.

20200211_070655.jpg

20200211_070722.jpg

• Like 1

Oh my days, What is going on with this weather. Clear blue sky all day here yesterday, I was planning to get outside last night and have a look around for the 1st time in i dont know how long. Sure enough after the evenings chores are all done the cloud rolls in and down comes the rain all night. 😞

Baz

Just now, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Oh my days, What is going on with this weather. Clear blue sky all day here yesterday, I was planning to get outside last night and have a look around for the 1st time in i dont know how long. Sure enough after the evenings chores are all done the cloud rolls in and down comes the rain all night. 😞

Baz

Often the way Baz unfortunately. The Moon looks lovely here this morning though. Clear blue sky....

41 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Partly clear this morning but the moon does look nice. Taken at 8:00am.

E0CF63A1-8954-43F8-86CC-86C866F25F72.jpeg

Very nice shot John, That is similar to how it is looking here. I am watching it slowly vanish into the blue sky with a cup of coffee.

Fingers crossed we get to view it again tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is isn’t it! Very steady seeing too. I was fascinated by the 2 little flashes of bright white on the terminator in Mare Imbrium- I think one must have been Mount Pico.

The Straight Wall was creating  a peculiar geometric effect too. And crater Moretus was incredibly 3D appearing to rise from the surface with almost vertical outer walls. 

Wonderul 😊

4879C4AD-CA7A-4282-B9CA-FBE26193E233.jpeg

Edited by markse68
  • Like 4