Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gravitational wave detections

S200208q was detected recently. It appears to be a binary black hole event about 3000 megaparsecs from here.

S200129m was detected recently. This appears to be a fairly nearby (900 megaparsecs) binary black hole with a very narrowly defined direction

anyone else feel to close for comfort?

S 200129 m event was only detected on 2020-1-29 and as yet is not confirmed. If confirmed it is 3000 million light years distant so I see no reason for alarm.

It would be reasonable to suppose that black hole mergers have occurred much closer to us ( even in our own galaxy ?) with no life threatening results to us since the birth of the solar system.

Just pull your armchair closer to the fire, sip brandy, read a good book on astrophysics and relax...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Damien1975 said:

3000 mparsecs so it 9 light years 

:blink:

A megaparsec is a million parsecs (mega is a prefix meaning million; think of megabyte, or megapixel) and as there are about 3.3 light-years to a parsec, just one megaparsec is quite some distance. Now multiply that megaparsec by 900, 3,000, or what have you.......:icon_biggrin:

Edited by Rob Sellent

2 hours ago, Damien1975 said:

anyone else feel to close for comfort?

Judging by all the threads you've set up this week, I imagine you're rooting for some cosmic phenomenon that will indicate dooms day for Earth. To wet your appetite, have a gander at the life cycle of stars like the Sun or else massive asteroid impact.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rob Sellent said:

Judging by all the threads you've set up this week, I imagine you're rooting for some cosmic phenomenon that will indicate dooms day for Earth. To wet your appetite, have a gander at the life cycle of stars like the Sun or else massive asteroid impact.

So my posts have been accurate that why most have no replies, something nag is coming soon

33 minutes ago, Damien1975 said:

This is the number calculated 9.7847e+9 is that 9 point something light years 

I ain't not no mathematician but that's scientific exponential notation and you need to skip the decimal point 9 places to the right... 9,784,700,000

That's some 9 US billion light years.

Close, but no cigar! :)

1 hour ago, Damien1975 said:

No.  The e+9 means that the decimal point shifts 9 places to the right.

As others have already said, a parsec is 3.26. light years.  A Megaparsec is a million times that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damien1975 said:

Damien as others have said it's a billion times 9 light years ie 9 billion lights years.   Even with a reasonable margin of error I think my holidays for next week are safe against the bubble of doom :) 

Jim 

3 minutes ago, saac said:

Damien as others have said it's a billion times 9 light years ie 9 billion lights years.   Even with a reasonable margin of error I think my holidays for next week are safe against the bubble of doom :) 

Jim 

Better pack a waterproof and umbrella just to be on the safe side ;)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Islander said:

Better pack a waterproof and umbrella just to be on the safe side ;)

Islander you are absolutely right, no need to take unnecessary risk with the apocalypse, even one that is 9 billion years away  :) 

Jim