Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DPD & Telescopes

johninderby

Went to book a shipment of a scope by DPD this aft only to find that DPD now lists telescopes as prohibited items. Wonder if it’s one rule for private shippers and another for commercial accounts.,🤔

Anyway now booked by ParcelFarce 24. 

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

DPD now lists telescopes as prohibited items

Yes I noticed that a few weeks ago when I was thinking of selling a camera lens. In fact, looking at the list of prohibited items it's a wonder they'll ship anything! Some items you could understand, but what's wrong with spectacles or shoes for heavens sake? At the end of the day, surely it comes down to packaging to prevent damage? I have seen somewhere else (not sure where now) the list has been split into separate categories according to whether they're fully insured for transit, limited claims or no claims, and prohibited. That would make more sense to me.

Ian

Here's what I posted a few weeks ago on a similar topic:

I've dug up some of my notes for our old glass paperweight business.  They're long out of date so you'll need to check this information.

Carriers can de divided into several classes re glass items:

1) Won't officially take them at all, but you may get away with it.  However there wouldn't be any insurance cover for either loss or damage.  DPD (and their consumer division Interlink Express) fall into this category.  See https://www.dpdlocal.co.uk/terms-and-conditions.jsp#4.

2) Will take glass but no cover for damage, or even if they lose the item!

3) Will take glass but no cover for damage.

4) Will take glass with cover for both loss or damage.  UPS still do and give packaging advice at http://www.nindelivers.com/the-ultimate-guide-how-to-ship-glass-across-the-country/  Unlike many carriers, they also take long items like fishing rods so long telescope tubes shouldn't be a problem.

Also be aware that if you go through an online broker almost all will impose their own restrictions, even if the carrier itself accepts glass.  The only exception I found was Courierpoint (www.courierpoint.com).  They have a fantastic service rating but, although competitive for international parcels were expensive for domestic ones.

My advice would be get quotes for UPS via Courierpoint and direct from UPS.

Good luck and please do report back.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Second Time Around said:

Will take glass but no cover for damage, or even if they lose the item!

This is what I take exception to. I can understand them not wanting to insure for damage, but surely a loss is a loss, whatever is in the package. Wanting their cake if you ask me!

Ian

• Like 1

If anyone wanted to take them to court over them not paying for a lost package the courier would soon find out that as they had entered into a contract with the shipper to deliver a package they would be in breach of contract by not paying out on an insured package which takes precedence over any of their rules. Thry are probably expecting that no one would take them to court though. 

Edited by johninderby

By accepting payment for loss insurance and knowing the declared contents and if it isn’t on their prohibited list they then can’t refuse to pay out in case of loss. If the item is on their prohibted items list they no they wouldn’t have to pay out in case of loss.

It’s all in the details of their terms and conditions which I believe are often intentionaly obtuse and misleading.

Have heard of custmers digging their heels in and by refusing to be fobbed off the courier eventualy caves in. 

3 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Will take glass but no cover for damage, or even if they lose the item!

41 minutes ago, johninderby said:

By accepting payment for loss insurance

My point is, if the contents fall into the above category, then you won't be able to take out loss insurance. Or have I missed the point?

Ian

Yes as I mrntioned if the item is on their prohibited list then you won’t be able to ship it in the first place. 

Also if you have declared glass and they accept payment for the insurance then they have accepted  liability. The tricky bit is if you have declared an item but not mentioned it contains glass they could refuse compensation. The devil is in the detail. 

Edited by johninderby