Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Confused.com!

ashbash

Hello, 

I'm a complete novice, have not even bought a Telescope yet. Going to go along to my local Cub next week, to ask for advice before I fork out dosh on a telescope.

Just looking for advice really, want to buy a used one, so been looking on e bay, willing to spend around £500. Im off on holiday to the gers region south west france in july, so the skys are going to be amazing hopefully. So would like a telescope that I could get in my car/roof box, (its a big car) want the best telescope for the money. Also was thinking about a spotting scope that could double up as telescope as the nature around there would be good to look at. Any suggestion for both. I know you guys and girls must get sick of answering the same post,lol  but any recommendations would be appreciated. 

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. You are doing the right thing to be going along to your local club. This will give yo a better idea of what’s available. I would not recommend buying a scope from eBay. Look at the adds on here  or on Astro buy and sell web site.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ash, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge. I can understand you being eager to purchase a scope. But, there is a phlefera of scopes out there to confuse the uninitiated. I would certainly visit your local astronomy club for advice and hopefully have the experience of viewing and using various scopes  to gain an understanding of your preferences. My advice, if you haven't found your ideal scope prior to your trip to France, is to purchase a good pair of 7 x 50 binoculars.

Steve 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi Ash, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge. I can understand you being eager to purchase a scope. But, there is a phlefera of scopes out there to confuse the uninitiated. I would certainly visit your local astronomy club for advice and hopefully have the experience of viewing and using various scopes  to gain an understanding of your preferences. My advice, if you haven't found your ideal scope prior to your trip to France, is to purchase a good pair of 7 x 50 binoculars.

Steve 

cheers Steve

51 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. You are doing the right thing to be going along to your local club. This will give yo a better idea of what’s available. I would not recommend buying a scope from eBay. Look at the adds on here  or on Astro buy and sell web site.

Cheers, where are the ads on here ?

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

The ads on here are under Browse/Forums/Astro Classifieds/for sale swap

They used to have a rule that new members had to have a certain number of posts before they can see/use that forum (to avoid dealers just using the site for selling), but not sure if that rule still applies.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

Access

Everyone can view SGL classified adverts.

To sell, you must be a SGL member for 30 days and have made over 50 posts (excludes posts in non-astronomy parts of the site, e.g. the lounge).

Post farming for the purpose of gaining access will result in a ban from the classified section.

You may not buy or sell items on behalf of someone else - no exceptions.

Access is a privilege that can be revoked by the moderation team, at their discretion.

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

To sell, you must be a SGL member for 30 days and have made over 50 posts (excludes posts in non-astronomy parts of the site, e.g. the lounge).

Think that's been scrapped as I recently purchased something from a new member whose only posts appeared to be in the for sale section.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Think that's been scrapped as I recently purchased something from a new member whose only posts appeared to be in the for sale section.

Dave

That was from the Astro Classified Rules bit in the sales section. Maybe the mods need to update that. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1