Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Recommended Posts

Hello, newbie here thanks for the forum, can anyone explain to me what the Newley discovered bubbles are that have been found in the milkey way September of 2019 and what impact they have to us here on earth if any?

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2019/09/giant-bubbles-spotted-rushing-out-from-milky-ways-center

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At a very quick guess I expect they are remains of activity of the central black hole.

It will have been active and will likely go through periodic meals of stars and material. The result is a outflow of energy in the form of jets and the jets in simple terms push and drag gas out as well. The gas interacts and slows and expands out forming what is described as 2 bubbles. Being energised gas they are visible in the radio bands.

So a radio scope detects 2 large and roughly spherical areas above and below the galactic plane emitting at radio frequencies.

Likely not "new", expect them to be say 1Bn years old. Timescales are different. Had a talk on Starburst Galaxies and at one stage they were discribed as short term and transient. That meant around 200,000,000 years. As I pointed out the human race wouldn't be around in 200 million years. So was "transient" really the best description.

Edited by PEMS
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you but what effect will they have on earth if they are expanding towards us 

Edited by Damien1975

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Damien1975 said:

what effect will they have on earth if they are expanding towards us

We know that cosmic rays (atom fragments that rain down on the Earth from outside of the solar system) are constantly raining down on Earth. The higher-energy cosmic rays are generally reflected away by the Earth's magnetic field and atmosphere while the lower-energy rays can reach us on the ground. By all indication, this means that the planet is around 99.99% protected from space radiation. As you'll appreciate the quantitative biological effects of the remaining 0.01% cosmic radiation is poorly understood and is subject to ongoing research.

However, we can make a plausible guestimate. If, for arguments sake, we assume that cosmic rays hitting biological systems on Earth have absolutely no beneficial qualities whatsoever, then we can assume they are a form of radiation. 1 sievert is associated with about a 5% increase in the risk of cancer. Putting this into perspective, a complete CT body scan is about 0.5% sievert, an astronaut on a 24 hour Earth-Moon round trip would receive about 0.0009% sievert while someone on Earth would receive about 0.00009% every day.

Edited by Rob Sellent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t understand exactly don’t these bubbles expanding and coming at us have a deadly effect on the planet like end of earth

Edited by Damien1975

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2020 at 16:57, Damien1975 said:

I don’t understand exactly don’t these bubbles expanding and coming at us have a deadly effect on the planet like end of earth

They aren't coming at us.  Quote from the article:

"The symmetry of the bubbles billowing above and below the galaxy suggests they were formed by an extremely energetic explosion near the supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way. The most likely explanation is a flare up in the black hole’s activity as it gobbled up extra nearby material and burped out other particles and radiation."

Note the first statement in the quote "above and below the galaxy" not laterally and towards the arms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.