Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar delights and surprises

RobertI

Although Sirius was boiling and bubbling the views of the moon through the 150P were actually exquisite. Loads of detail and tonight I was using a moon filter which I have to say made observing more enjoyable. Also managed to takes some pics on the phone to aid my memory - the real eyepiece views were far more spectacular. Most viewing done at x240. Highlights (south to north, top to bottom):

A - Schiller, an intersting non-circular crater.

B - A tri of large prominent craters; Phocyclides,Wargentin the middle with some lovely 'veins' visible in the floor and the largest, Shickard.

IMG_2218.thumb.JPG.0b069e20c0a373cb9eaa5f1a50ecab34.JPG

C - A feature prominent in the darkness - it looked just like a seagull flying away from the moon.

D - Two twins, Billy and Hantseen, identical shape and size but one with a flat floor and one with a rippled floor.

IMG_2230.thumb.JPG.a474973981f7e75cdeeee5de0d86fc01.JPG

E - Craters within craters, Damoiseau sits inside an unidentified larger crater

F - An albedo feature named Reiner Gamma

G - Aristarchus, incrediby bright even through the 9x50 finder, with the spectacular Shroter's valley nearby and a network of Rimae and Rupes!

IMG_2240.thumb.JPG.d2b47edeb28965ed39d4e7c17cb70e78.JPG

H - Mare Imbrium and Sinus Iridium, amazing mottled shades of grey and brown on the flat surface.

IMG_2250.thumb.JPG.aeb4f751881a716858ef8d9c476e13ca.JPG

The final surprise was the occultation of a 6th magnitude star which, after careful viewing for a good five minutes, winked out of sight in the darkness near the terminator. Thanks to @Stu for the heads up! :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1