Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Tracker - Camera direction

Seleckta

Hi all, total newbie and slightly petrified at what I've got myself into...

Just got a Skywatcher Star Adventurer and having trawled the 'how to' videos I can't seem to find anything that tells you what to do after the alignment has been done in terms of pointing the camera.

Everything shows the camera and unit pointing in the direction of alignment which clearly is not going to allow you to choose your subject if it is in the opposite direction.

Is is simply a case of, with the camera mounted on the ball joint fitting) just pointing it wherever you like and the unit will take care of the rest?

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies, I totally missed your replies and thank you so much for taking the time. I've figured out the ball head / direction thing and all things considered am pretty pleased with my first foray into imaging the Orion Nebula.

My next question is the same but for when a scope / camera is attached to the L bracket with the weight. How do you get the camera in any direction...again, all images just show the camera pointing in the direction of polar alignment!

Cheers

Neb 20 02 20 for mobile 3.jpg

• Like 1

Hi, I think I may have figured it out bu releasing the dovetail clutch and turning and then releasing the central wheel on the camera mount and turning that...but would I be right in thinking that by and large the camera will be in portrait mode. (This is using the L bracket with no ball head)?

Hi MarkAR, thanks for the reply.

I thought about that and it would be fine with just my camera and a lens but I am planning on getting hold of something like the Williams Optics Zenithstar 61 APO and don't think, at that point, the ballhead would be sufficient.

Johnny