SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ZWO asi178mc

stewie_w

Hi guys, if this has already been asked i apologize but i need to ask it. I was out last-night for the first time with my gear to see if i could get an image of any stars as i have been having problems since i got all my gear. I am a newbie at AP.

My gear consists of

Explore Scientific ED102 cf refractor,

ES iEXOS 100 PMC Eight,

ZWO asi178mc none cooled,

ZWO OAG,

ZWO asi120mm mini.

Software i use is

Nebulosity / APT,

PHD2 

]The problem I am having is that I cannot see anything in live view on any of the programs, so what i have done is slew to a bright star, looked at it through an eye piece to make sure i am on target, which i am, put the camera back in, and nothing! Just a black screen. So what i have done is disconnect the asi120mm and closed down PHD2 to eliminate a mix up/confusion off the cams and it is still the same. Do i need to change any settings on the cameras even though it is all set to auto? 

Has anyone else had this problem? if so could you please help me out. Any help would be appreciated.

Clear skies.

PS. Im not sure why this feed has these deft white boxes so I apologize for it.

Hi, 

I have the 178MC which I use for lunar. I use Sharpcap for this camera, and am also able to switch over to APT, which also recognises the camera. In order to pick up stars, I suggest framing and focusing on the moon, you will then know if your live view is working. Then turn up the gain and exposure levels. You might need to turn up brightness (offsett), as well. By doing this your moon image will now be extremely bright and well overexposed in your live view.

Then slew to a star (ie) Sirius. You should pick it up on your live view no problem. You can then adjust/reduce exposure, gain levels, to get the star to appear smaller, and maybe then put on Bahtinov mask and focus sharply. If your APT recognises your camera, if you switch over to APT, you should also see the star, once you click on APT live view. Maybe then shoot a 30 sec exposure and experiment to see what you get. 

Regards,

Steve

On 06/02/2020 at 11:39, PeterCPC said:

I find that I need an extension tube with my ASI385 to get focus so you may also need this.

Peter

What kind of extension tubes? I got 3 with the scope when i got it that screw in front of the draw tube/focuser and i also have some T-2 extension tubes coming tomorrow that will screw on the back of the OAG in front of the camera. Or should i try both/combination?

On 06/02/2020 at 11:59, PembrokeSteve said:

Hi, 

I have the 178MC which I use for lunar. I use Sharpcap for this camera, and am also able to switch over to APT, which also recognises the camera. In order to pick up stars, I suggest framing and focusing on the moon, you will then know if your live view is working. Then turn up the gain and exposure levels. You might need to turn up brightness (offsett), as well. By doing this your moon image will now be extremely bright and well overexposed in your live view.

Then slew to a star (ie) Sirius. You should pick it up on your live view no problem. You can then adjust/reduce exposure, gain levels, to get the star to appear smaller, and maybe then put on Bahtinov mask and focus sharply. If your APT recognises your camera, if you switch over to APT, you should also see the star, once you click on APT live view. Maybe then shoot a 30 sec exposure and experiment to see what you get. 

Regards,

Steve

Thank you steve i have never used that sharp-cap but i will install it and give it a try and see what results i get back. Also never thought of playing about with the gain levels myself as theyre set to auto when i plug it in and never knew what they really meant to be honest but i think i do now.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, stewie_w said:

What kind of extension tubes? I got 3 with the scope when i got it that screw in front of the draw tube/focuser and i also have some T-2 extension tubes coming tomorrow that will screw on the back of the OAG in front of the camera. Or should i try both/combination?

One like this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-2-35mm-focus-extension-tube.html

Peter

39 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

With my 178mc I need to have the diagonal in the scope, then the camera into the diagonal instead of eyepiece. It won't focus without the diagonal. 

It might with an extension tube. You really don't want to be using a diagonal with a camera.

Peter

20 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

It might with an extension tube. You really don't want to be using a diagonal with a camera.

Peter

I don't have an extension tube. :-(. 

So I really do need to use the diagonal. 🙂

10 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

yea, i think the ones i got with the scope are very similar to them ones. They screw in front of the focuser. I got 3 in total slightly different sizes, so i might even try to use them all and mix and match the tubes