Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hi , my new zwo 533 has arrived used to have dslr, I imaged the moon last night to check the camera  is working with asicap, moved on to image a few stars I managed to get a faint image of betlegues which I could barely see and couldn't make out any other stars on my laptop,  what adjustments  should  i make in order to be able to see any stars on my laptop. Thanks  in advance .

The moon is very bright in comparison to the stars, maybe you need to crank the gain up abit although betlegeuse is pretty big and bright itself

Thanks for the reply , I was thinking it might be the gains setting but wasn't  sure  will have a go tonight  if the sky stay clear.

The sensor back focus won't be the same. If you have a reducer you'll probably have to insert an extension tube. Always a good idea to get close to infinity focus during the day with a new camera.

Louise

Just to add (probably the obvious) - make sure you've got a healthy exposure time as well. A well lit moon will be milliseconds but seeing some stars at unity gain (out the box) will be several seconds. 

Assuming you're using a tracking mount, crank the exposure up to 30s and you'll see something no problem I reckon. Keep going to see more - I can't remember if AsiCap will let you stretch in situ or not but that would help confirm there's plenty out there!

Thanks  I had the exposure  time set at 20 seconds  when I tried imaging beatleguese will try longer exposure when I next get clear skies