Narrowband

StellaMira Owners Thread

9 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

Is that a colour cast caused by your phone?

I think more the eyepiece used. Do need to sort out something with more mag to use. Pity the smartphone adapter won’t fit the 4.5mm Morpheous. 🙁

Have removed the tint from the pics now.

Edited by johninderby

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

I think more the eyepiece used. Do need to sort out something with more mag to use. Pity the smartphone adapter won’t fit the 4.5mm Morpheous. 🙁

Have removed the tint from the pics now.

Looks great!👍

A Primaluce finder shoe with a curved base arrived and fits much better than the standard type shoe which is flat with little “legs”. Did have to drill a little dimple in the back to clear an adjusting screw in the focuser but a simple little job.

A Lunt 2” eyepiece to T2 adapter arrived to be fitted to the Baader prism. This will allow me to use the twist lock 1,25” eyepiece adapter that came with the scope. Needed a Baader 7.5mm  T2 extension ring as the flange on the back of the 2” nosepiece stopped the Lunt adapter from screwing all the way down.

Decided to keep the 9x50 finder but changed the bracket to an old WO 7x50 one. The rings are only a few mm bigger than the finder so a close fit but still give an adequate range of adjustment. 

There are a couple of nylon grub screws in the mounting flange on  the back of the OTA that  can be removed to mount a finder shoe on the tube.

5D53A2EE-F282-4709-BD6D-1668F2563596.jpeg

5A167F35-87F4-4A67-843E-1E03694145B7.jpeg

9C3D20D2-45BA-4D08-8A9B-E6E71A525E57.jpeg

C780891C-289C-4722-9303-1F4497DD8EF7.jpeg

58798B2B-054E-433F-B36D-C9BFCE8FF7C2.jpeg

F8B5B0FD-67F1-4DDC-96B3-F426EF442532.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 4

@johninderby how do you find the new scope on your Manfrotto tripod and 405 geared head John?

I have a similar setup (Manfrotto 057 Tripod and  Manfrotto 410 geared head) but find it a bit shaky with my ED100 on and am wondering whether its the 410 head thats letting the side down.

Your 80mm f/10 must nearly be as long as the ED100, but maybe a bit lighter, although it looks like a well engineered tube, tube rings and focuser so maybe not.

I'd be interested to know what the daming time is like.

Ade

Yes the 410 head is fine with a shorter and lighter scope but I imagine it would indeed shake a lot with the ED100 on it. The 405 head will carry 7.5kg but I removed the centre section to make it an Alt-Az mount so it shoild carry a bit more. Unfortunately the 405 heads are silly money new now. Over 500 quid. 🙀 There is a couple of seconds minor vibration while focusing but no  big deal. The pics on the previous page were taken using the photo mount.

The AZ4:seems to work OK with the ED100.

OTA is about the same weight but a bit shorter but build quality is in the WO class so is more heavily built. OTA without finder or diagonal weighs 4.6kg (10.14lbs) and is 800mm (31.5”) long with the dewshield extended and  670mm (27.5”) with it retracted. That’s without diagonal fitted.

Here it is with a Lyra 102 f11. Just about usable.

8BCFD63D-AB32-407B-A8F3-065A853DE06D.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2020 at 17:57, johninderby said:

Yes the 410 head is fine with a shorter and lighter scope but I imagine it would indeed shake a lot with the ED100 on it. The 405 head will carry 7.5kg but I removed the centre section to make it an Alt-Az mount so it shoild carry a bit more. Unfortunately the 405 heads are silly money new now. Over 500 quid. 🙀 There is a couple of seconds minor vibration while focusing but no  big deal. The pics on the previous page were taken using the photo mount.

The AZ4:seems to work OK with the ED100.

OTA is about the same weight but a bit shorter but build quality is in the WO class so is more heavily built. OTA without finder or diagonal weighs 4.6kg (10.14lbs) and is 800mm (31.5”) long with the dewshield extended and  670mm (27.5”) with it retracted. That’s without diagonal fitted.

Here it is with a Lyra 102 f11. Just about usable.

The first thing I did with the 410 head was to remove the middle section to make it just Alt-Az and it works brilliantly with my smaller scopes, but the ED 100 challenges it a bit, but having checked the specs, its only rated at 5kg, I guess that not really so much of a surprise.

I keep monitoring ebay for a 405, but the prices are high, in fact more than I paid for my whole EQ5.

Another question, where did you pick up the QR base for the RDF? 

I've been looking for something like that for a while, but not been able to locate one. 

Ade

Replaced the white foam blocks in the case with pick’n’pluck foam. With the handle fitted to the scope it has to lay on its side in the case.

Find the case is more suited to storing the scope in. If carrying it around a lot would prefer a heavier duty case .🤔

8273C618-D779-436A-8731-8297887A5D60.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

Hello Guys

Has anyone got or had any experience with the Stella Mira 85mm triplet as yet please?

Just asking as I am thinking of buying one to do some astrophotography, I will of course be buying the reducer /  flattener along with the telescope. There doesn't seem to much chatter on the forums regarding this model at the moment.

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It’s only been available for about two weeks so it could take a little while before anyone has had the chance to try imaging with one. You migjt try asking FLO if any have been sold yet.

Hello John

Thank you for that information. 

I will send them an email later.

Kind regards,

Hadyn

Great looking telescope John. It's nice to see a resurgence of longer focal length refractors with modern glass. My first telescope was an 80 mm F 16 Towa refractor. It gave great views. How long is the tube assembly? Silly question, 80 x 10 I guess. Does it weigh a great deal? 

OTA without finder or diagonal weighs 4.6kg (10.14lbs) and is 800mm (31.5”) long with the dewshield extended and  670mm (27.5”) with it retracted. That’s without diagonal fitted. It’s not the lightest but feels so solidly built. 

One thing I can  say about this scope is that it’s always a pleasure to use. Never feels like it’s “only” 80mm if that makes sense.👍🏻

Edited by johninderby

• 3 months later...