Narrowband

Exploding meteor caught on doorbell camera in Derby

I saw a bright flash last night at 23:34 and initially thought it was lightning, but a check on lightningmaps.org confirmed it wasn't and anyway the colour was wrong.  I assumed it was a meteor and the report below confirms this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-derbyshire-51373851/exploding-meteor-caught-on-doorbell-camera-in-derby

I live 10 miles west of Newcastle Upon Tyne and it was due east at 23:34, I guessed somewhere over the north sea.  It must have been pretty big to be seen so well in Derby and due east of Newcastle Upon Tyne.

My night sky camera caught it, in the 9 o'clock position, due east of me at 23:35, but it runs 60 second exposures.

Did anyone else see it and which direction, we might be able to triangulate it?

Meteor-03-02-20-23-34.jpg

• Like 6

I just read the BBC report and came to check if it was reported here. Seems surprisingly few saw it considering that a lot of members were active last night. Your ASC image is the only other image I've seen of it.

I was back indoors at the time of the meteor and I can't see E from my back yard and I'm way to the west! 

Edited by Paul M

I barely captured it on my AllSky Camera.  It was north and east but only just appeared just above the horizon (started no more than 10-15 degrees above the horizon and then went 'down' from there.  I'm located just west of Leicester so somewhere in the north sea makes sense.