Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Monoceros mosaic LRGB+Ha+O3, 12+ hours

MartinFransson

I finally managed to get some LRGB for my second panel of the mosaic I shot of the Monoceros area. I already had the narrowband mosaic finished. I used the Ha and O3 to enhance the R and B channels and also some of the O3 in the green channel. I used the @ollypenrice method of blend mode Lighten i the channels in PS. I also created a combined Lum from the Ha and O3 and blended that in at about 30% in the final image.

Total exposure for both panels about 12,5 hours:

L: 73*60s
R: 35*60s
G: 31*60s
B: 34*60s

Ha: 54*300s
O3: 60*300s

Equipment used: Zwo ASI 1600MM-Cool + Samyang 135/2.0 @f/4 and HEQ5 Pro Synscan mount.

Monoceros LRGB m Ha-O3-L 33proc_final 3kpx_yellowstars.jpg

Edited by MartinFransson
Entered wrong equipment info
  • Like 19

1 minute ago, Allinthehead said:

That's a great image Martin, i don't recall ever seeing that blue area on the left. Was that in the rgb?

Thanks! No, it didn´t show up in the RGB (although I didn´t have much of that), it was from the O3-data used to enhance blue and green channels.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Wow indeed, that's a rich image and beautifully framed to find one coherent structure in this wide field. A very memorable image indeed.

Olly

Thank you Olly! Framing is important for me... being a landscape photographer by day it´s hard to avoid :) I started out with the right part of it, the plan was to capture the Rosette and the structures around it but I soon realised that I had to add a frame to the left and recompose a bit.

Incredible image Martin - I think I said something similar when you posted it on Astrobin. I wonder if anyone have seen (or rather imaged) this area like this before. I would never have thought that a 24 mm lens could capture that much detail, including the dark globules in the Rosette.

EDIT: Your image got me going on globules and I found a recent thesis from a fellow Swede. Very interesting reading, at least the parts I could comprehend:

Globule thesis.pdf

Edited by gorann

57 minutes ago, gorann said:

Incredible image Martin - I think I said something similar when you posted it on Astrobin. I wonder if anyone have seen (or rather imaged) this area like this before. I would never have thought that a 24 mm lens could capture that much detail, including the dark globules in the Rosette.

EDIT: Your image got me going on globules and I found a recent thesis from a fellow Swede. Very interesting reading, at least the parts I could comprehend:

Globule thesis.pdf 29.78 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks Göran and sorry - I entered the wrong equipment info! It was the Samyang 135/2.0 lens, not the 24mm! :)

43 minutes ago, MartinFransson said:

Thanks Göran and sorry - I entered the wrong equipment info! It was the Samyang 135/2.0 lens, not the 24mm! :)

That explains it, but it does not make the image less incredible!

• Like 1