Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leo Triplet Mosaic

Taman

This beautiful trio of galaxies is just outside the field of view of my SCT, so I decided to try a 2 part mosaic. This was taken in March and April last year.

I have processed it several times and this is the best version so far.

Stacked and stretched in Siril, mosaic joined together in Photoshop and star mask subtracted using Starnet++.

45 x 240s lights, 24 darks, 50 flats, 25 bias.

Total exposure time: 3 hours.

triplet.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

That's really well resolved, especially the beautiful M66. You'd find a vast improvement in smoothness if you had more data.

Olly

Thanks Olly! 

I may have another go at this later in the year, if the clouds let me!

Edited by Taman
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MartinFransson said:

That´s looking good so far! I like how you didn´t go overboard with noise reduction despite there being some noise. I prefer this more natural looking edit rather than the "plastic fantastic" look that can result from over smoothing the noise :)

Thanks Martin.

No, I did not use any noise reduction. I try to keep my images as natural looking as possible, although I may have slightly overdone the saturation, increasing the colour noise. It's hard to know when to stop! 🙂