SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

meteor software recommendations

bottletopburly

17 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

what free meteor software is there for a windows machine that will work with a qhy5L5-11C, i have heard of ALLSKYeye https://www.allskeye.com/  any other free ware ?. 

What are the intentions for the meteor camera?  Do you want it to trigger on detecting a meteor?  Or just record a series of XX second videos all night?  I might be wrong but I don't think that the QHY is supported in Allskyeye?

Edited by tooth_dr

19 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

@tooth_dr Trigger on detection , it was more that I have the qhy laying about after upgrading guide cam , if there’s no freeware about that can be used with qhy then probably won’t bother for now .

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I do have some experience. I think you will struggle with sensitivity, and only capture the very brightest of meteors.  My current setup is a Watec 902, and with an 8mm F0.8 lens I can get down to +4 magnitude meteors.  These dim ones are by far the most common.  Very occasionally the odd very bright one is recorded, but it's so infrequent.  I use UFOcapture software, but it wont work with the QHY camera.

As an all sky camera, it would probably work ok with something like SharpCap.

3 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

@tooth_dr Trigger on detection , it was more that I have the qhy laying about after upgrading guide cam , if there’s no freeware about that can be used with qhy then probably won’t bother for now .

The QHY should work with AllSkEye if you use the Ascom driver.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pete_l said:

I would suggest having a look at what these people are doing. It will give an idea of the sorts of results that can be obtained.

https://www.meteornews.net/2018/12/16/the-2018-geminids-from-croatia-with-raspberry-pi-meteor-systems/

That's very interesting.  Thanks for the link, Pete.

In the current oacapture code that I have been trying to find time to release for the last couple of months I have added functionality to dump a stream of frames to a named pipe.  It looks as though it shouldn't be that hard to find a way to use the above software with this method of capturing data, in which case any camera supported by oacapture might well work (most QHY cameras, ZWO, Altair, many TIS, perhaps some Mallincams, Risingcam, and Orion Starshoot G series).  I want to build a meteor camera at some point, so I shall make a note to return to this soon.

James