Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OBSERVE COPERNICUS NOW - Never seen it placed better!!

paulastro

I managed about 20 minutes before it clouded over and the rains began, but it was well worth taking a look. I love this time of year for the moon, and its going to get even better placed for observation in the evening from now until May. Warmer nights on the way, gardens springing back to life, birds singing and the quiet tick tick tick of an RA motor - its all good! :biggrin:

• Like 5

Enjoying the Heads-Up now I know what I'm looking for, thanks paulastro.

Popping in and out whilst cooking tea!

Is there a SGL Tufty badge for getting all the craters Stu?! :D

I like the little marble run of craters to the South East (on your map Stu!) of Copernicus.

18 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I managed about 20 minutes before it clouded over and the rains began, but it was well worth taking a look. I love this time of year for the moon, and its going to get even better placed for observation in the evening from now until May. Warmer nights on the way, gardens springing back to life, birds singing and the quiet tick tick tick of an RA motor - its all good! :biggrin:

Very appealing Mike, this will be my 1st spring for Astronomy and I look forward to seeing the moon and watch the garden start again. I have been outside this weekend getting the herbs potted and ready,but  that's a conversation for the lounge!

I am keen to see the spring night sky through the scope

Baz

• Like 2

Thanks to for the heads up, very nice indeed, Copernicus perfectly presented, air is stable, dark and clear following on from wind and rain earlier. Second consecutive night out observing the moon with binoculars, last night was a gaping Clavius that commanded particular attention. Definitely good enough to set up a scope, but we're off to a pub quiz. Near by Aldebaran is looking lovely, sharp and golden to.

Some clear sky here and there now so I have got a view of the moon after all and it is a lovely sight !

130mm triplet refractor is the scope of choice - now I have a really good mount for it as well :icon_biggrin:

Nice pic Paul !

• Like 1

Had another half hour of clear sky after tea, before the cloud rolled in.

It was windy here too and not the steadiest of skies, but well worth it.

Big thumbs up for the 4mm OVL (in the 200p) again, having roughly a minutes drift time and clear from edge to edge makes a big difference.

Not steady enough for the 2x barlow, but had to be done anyway! :D

Enjoyed seeing Rupes Recta too and just the suggestion of detail on the floor of Vallis Alpes.

5 hours ago, bingevader said:

Enjoying the Heads-Up now I know what I'm looking for, thanks paulastro.

Popping in and out whilst cooking tea!

Is there a SGL Tufty badge for getting all the craters Stu?! :D

I like the little marble run of craters to the South East (on your map Stu!) of Copernicus.

You're showing your age with the "Tufty Badge" Ben. I haven't heard that mentioned since Noah was a lad.

1728872607_2020-02-0323_08_05.png.b080ddaac20227898d77513d14de256c.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm so pleased that so many folks managed a view and thought it was worthwhile.  There are some great posts here and I'll be going through them and replying to some tomorrow - off to bed shortly. 

I've just posted up a  brief report and some pics on LUNAR IMAGING.

• Thanks 1

It was a spectacular sight, even to a non-lunar observer! Interesting shadow on the edge of Plato as well.

Amazing to have some clear hours here before the Moon set behind a pine tree. Maybe the near-permanent rain and cloud have finally finished?

Chris

9 hours ago, Helen said:

Sounds like this might be your next project Ben 😋 @bingevader

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/the-lunar-100/

Hoping to get out with the children in school tonight, I'll certainly have a list of the prominent objects along the terminator.

I have a couple of pdfs that I've posted before from ages ago!

Can't remember whose they are or I'd give them the credit ;)

Lunar 100 object list and notes.pdf Lunar 100 Object List.pdf

Edited by bingevader