Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Northamptonshire UK

BonnyMiss

Hello all, I'm new to this and as green as they come. I have always been interested in the stars, moon etc but have never felt brave enough to dip my toe in the water so to speak, that is until last week when I picked up a Tasco 9TE-5 (whatever that means) no manual present, so I looked to my friends Google and Youtube, then I found you guys (oh joy!!)  I did manage to set it up and yes, I did look at the moon 🙂  I know it has to be me, the finderscope and the body of the scope are not 'speaking' to each other....................... I find my target in the finderscope but do not see the same object through the main scope. It also seems that the slightest bit of breeze or wind blows the whole thing off course. So far I love the potential of what a telescope can do and would it be wrong to crave for an easier scope ( and much newer)  scope for a green bud like myself?

Regards

• Like 1

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. You have to align the finder scope to the telescope. This is best done during daylight. View a distant object through the telescope and centre the object in the eye piece view. Now look through the finder. There should be adjustment screws which enable you to place the distant object in the finder view. I am not familiar with your scope but you should be able to do this. If the image is easily lost when viewing this is often down to the mount and tripod not being very good. A photo of your set up might help us to advise you if this can be improved.

• Like 1

Hey there welcome to SGL. I'm a fellow Northamptonshire based Astrophotographer :)

iaudrop hit it on the nose about the finder scope and main imaging telescope, once you've done it s few times it'll be a piece of cake. As for the telescope/mount recommendation yes a picture will help, and do you want to look, or take photos? And if you want to take photos then what of?

clear skies :)

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have added their experience to this post 🙂  As requested, I have taken a few photos. I did balance the tripod using a spirit level. 🙂  There was only two eyepieces with it.  Nebula I would love to take photos of anything in the night skies.......Think I will wait until I gain some experience. Haha!

index1.jpg

index2.jpg

index3.jpg

index4.jpg

index5.jpg

index6.jpg

index7.jpg

index8.jpg

index9.jpg

index10.jpg

Hi, Welcome to SGL :smile:

For the finder, aim the scope at something distant in daylight. Then adjust the three screws on the finder until the object the main scope is looking at is centred in the finder.

Are you using the tripod as it looks there? If so the legs aren't fully spread. They need to be wide to give stability.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Hi, Welcome to SGL :smile:

For the finder, aim the scope at something distant in daylight. Then adjust the three screws on the finder until the object the main scope is looking at is centred in the finder.

Are you using the tripod as it looks there? If so the legs aren't fully spread. They need to be wide to give stability.

Hello, thank you for your reply, I did set it up during the day according a lot of the Youtube videos, no, I am not using it as seen in the photos, I just 'threw' it together to take those photos today.

Hi Bonny, and welcome to SGL.  I see from your photos that it seems you have a red-framed filter/eyepiece marked 'SUN', whatever you do, DO NOT use this unless you want to lose your eyesight, it is not fit for purpose. 

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 1

Hi @BonnyMiss and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Q. Is the red filter a 'SUN' filter ? - If "Yes!" please DO NOT use it. The reason is that the Sun's rays will converge at the focal point, generate heat and the glass will crack. You are safe using full aperture solar filter, (ready made or DIY), that will cover the objective cell/element.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Bonny, and welcome to SGL.  I see from your photos that it seems you have a red-framed filter/eyepiece marked 'SUN', whatever you do, DO NOT use this unless you want to lose your eyesight, it is not fit for purpose. 

Good morning all, in answer to the the statement about the sun filter, I didn't think it was safe to use it, so I didn't, thank you for the 'heads-up.'

Does anyone here have one of these........................... Sky-Watcher SK1309EQ2 Reflector Telescope.

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody and thanks for the attention. It is a question for BonnyMiss because we have the same telescopes. It is from the Year '70 and I have received it as an inheritance. My problem is in the mount, that is, in the part that goes on the inside of the tripod or tripod I never knew what it was like and what came to me is a simple small tube that does not achieve stability or helps me in the rotation of the telescope. I would like you to send me a photo of the frame and its parts to compare with mine. I am sending you photos of the box because they already have the telescope and they are the same to see if it matches. Thank you very much and greetings  

Excuse me but I couldn't find a way to insert the photos, as soon as I send them. Thank you

Donny

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in his forum

The Tasco 9TE-5 were a department store scope, and were around in the 1980's

As started previous, do daylight set up on a distant object, and adjust the screw securing the finderscope to the holder, so both objects appear together through the finderscope and the eyepiece

John

estoy queriendo saber como se compone la montura alta-azimutal del telescopio. es decir que piezas la forman en particular la que es interior al trípode y que sujetaría el telescopio al pie y permite una adecuada rotación del mismo para que la visión sea correcta. gracias a las respuestas y fotos que enviaran. Muchas gracias

15 minutes ago, EstrellaDoble said:

estoy queriendo saber como se compone la montura alta-azimutal del telescopio. es decir que piezas la forman en particular la que es interior al trípode y que sujetar el telescopio al pie y permite una rotación adecuada del mismo para que la visión sea correcta. gracias a las respuestas y fotos que enviaran. muchas gracias

🇦🇷 gracias

Welcome! Here too I had a mimi panic attack when I noticed that solar filter eyepiece, was afraid you’d have a go at it and risk your eyeball. As mentioned above, put that straight into the garbage bin, they can shatter with the intense heat and cook your eye.