SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron C6 or 150mm Newtonian.

I already have an 80mm Skywatcher Equinox. I use this for wide field and solar observation. Also as a grab n go scope. 

For higher power viewing I would like to add another telescope to my armoury. This will be for viewing the moon and planets, whilst being easy to setup and use. I understand the benefits in the quality of resolution with a good refractor. But they don't suit me. 

So to that end I have decided to consider a Celestron C 6 or an

Orion Optics UK150 mm F 5 with 1/10th wave figured Optics.

I would be interested in people's experiences. I did have a Celestron C5 and would be interested to know if there is an improvement in resolution with a C6. I know that with the Newtonian has a built in cooling fan under the primary mirror. There would be a quicker cool down time and less thermal difference within the tube. 

But would I get the higher power with resolution with a Newtonian being F5 focal ratio? 

Edited by Guest
Added text.

I have a very good thermally lagged C6 that does very well on the planets and is very comfortable to use.

Unfortunately I struggle to use Newtonians as I have a bad back - if this were not the case I would choose a Newtonian as the performance to price ratio is excellent - although that’s not quite the case if you buy a new Orion Optics Newt.

Do you need an F/5 ? an F/6 or F/8 will have a smaller secondary that will be a little better for the planets.....

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11239_TS-PHOTON-6--F6-Advanced-Newtonian-Telescope-with-Metal-Tube.html

I had an OO 8” F/6 with 1/10th wave optics and to be honest I think with our UK skies 1/8th would have been fine.

Edited by dweller25

Martin, before commenting I think it would be useful to understand what you didn't get on with when using previous scopes. Is it the weight when setting up, eyepiece position when observing or other factors? The risk is that you buy something else and are equally unhappy with it.

• Like 1

Right now at the offer price this looks like an alternative.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10748_TS-Optics-6--f-12-Cassegrain-Teleskop-154-1848-mm-OTA.html

Focuser is poor though and needs upgrading which probably expains the sale price. Pity the focuser isn’t the same as the 8” version. Most refractor crayfords will fit. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

With reference to Stu and Lockie's points. With using a longer refractor I would stoop down to look at objects that were higher in the sky. It would require readjusting the tube when looking a little lower in the sky. The stooping down was uncomfortable due to sore ribs to be honest. I just remember not having this issue with an SCT. I think that your questions have made me think that actually a compound telescope would be the better option. This is due to the reason I just mentioned. Also a Newtonian would not be useful due to the height of hedging and shrubs in the garden line facing South. Thank you both for these searching questions. As you say Stu, I am just about done chopping and changing telescopes in the search for the right combination. 

Edited by Guest
Added text.

15 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

With reference to Stu and Lockie's points. With using a longer refractor I would stoop down to look at objects that were higher in the sky. It would require readjusting the tube when looking a little lower in the sky. The stooping down was uncomfortable due to sore ribs to be honest. I just remember not having this issue with an SCT. I think that your questions have made me think that actually a compound telescope would be the better option. This is due to the reason I just mentioned. Also a Newtonian would not be useful due to the height of hedging and shrubs in the garden line facing South. Thank you both for these searching questions. As you say Stu, I am just about done chopping and changing telescopes in the search for the right combination. 

Good to narrow things down, Martin :) So we're looking at either an SCT, Mak, or maybe a Cassegrain unless I've missed anything? What are your immediate thoughts about these three types? 

I have a OOuk 8"  i think around F/4.5 newt with a high grade mirror and even though this is my grab and go for unplanned dark site use on DSO. I have also used it at home on Luna and planetary. Probably less problematic on the back compared to the frac, due to the focus position. Viewing wise the mirror is good , very good in fact(depending on the atmosphere, seeing conditions) But the newt in my opinion does not give that clear ,crisp view that a high end refractor gives on Luna, planetary, more of a softer image. If you are used to a high end refractor I think you will notice the difference on Luna and planetary. But my OOuk certainty gives very good views and I am sure a high grade mirror OOuk at 150mm will be likewise on planets and Luna.

If I had to make do with just owning one scope, an Orion Optics 8 inch F/6 with their top quality optics inside and on a good alt-azimuth mount would be a strong contender for that scope. Powerful, portable and versatile :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Right now at the offer price this looks like an alternative.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10748_TS-Optics-6--f-12-Cassegrain-Teleskop-154-1848-mm-OTA.html

Focuser is poor though and needs upgrading which probably expains the sale price. Pity the focuser isn’t the same as the 8” version. Most refractor crayfords will fit. 

@Grumpy Martian I have just bought one of these and am very impressed with it, although I did have to collimate the focuser.

I was looking at Venus and the Moon tonight at x300 and the views were very very good.

I used a Vixen GP and a height adjustable observing seat on wheels and was very comfortable - A must for me as I have a bad back - I cannot stoop at all as it causes me too much pain.

Well worth considering and no dewing up 👍👍👍😀

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lockie said:

Good to narrow things down, Martin :) So we're looking at either an SCT, Mak, or maybe a Cassegrain unless I've missed anything? What are your immediate thoughts about these three types? 

Hi Chris. I have an eight inch OO UK F4. 5 which I use down in Dorset. The skies are dark and you can see quite low near the horizon. I mount it on an alt/az mount. This combination is light enough to set up and does not aggregate the sore ribs. 

But I am not convinced that a Newtonian would work in my garden with the high hedge and shrubs. So A compound telescope looks interesting. Do you think that luna and planetary views would be sharper in a Mak than an SCT? 

Edited by Guest
Add text.

23 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Do you think that luna and planetary views would be sharper in a Mak than an SCT? 

Hi Martin, well the Mak would be a touch sharper and more contrasty, in part due to the smaller central obstruction. SCT's win on the faster cool down time and the ability to add reducer/flatteners making them a bit more versatile. 

The 127Mak is a very good compromise between aperture, cool down time, and portability if going the Mak route, but definitely investigate those 'new' classical Cassegrain's that seem to have popped up on the scene recently. I've also heard very good things about their planetary performance. Their central obstruction is pretty much identical to an SCT but they have a longer/larger focal ratio, something like f12 verse f10, so all things being equal better off axis performance with the more shallow light cone. Plus fast cool down and reduced dew worries as Classical Cassegrain's don't have corrector plates!  

I cannot add much, other than that I love my C5, probably my favourite at the moment and if you decide to go for a C6, Then I will point you in the direction of Grovers where the C6 is the same price as the C5 at £ 499. ( Though doesn't FLO do a price match? )  https://grovers.biz/optics/optical-tube-assemblies/7509-celestron-nexstar-evolution-6-ota.html

I would also agree with dweller 25, the classical cass shows promise, but I have yet to decide, as the focuser is indeed poor and I did get some dew on the secondary with my first outing with it, we will see. I also have a 150mm F5 reflector, but it has not been used for years, so may have to go very soon, it is just not as good, or easy to use as the C5. :smiley:

I can imagine @FLO hating me for pointing out a cheaper C6 now as well, ah well... :tongue:

On 03/02/2020 at 19:52, John said:

If I had to make do with just owning one scope, an Orion Optics 8 inch F/6 with their top quality optics inside and on a good alt-azimuth mount would be a strong contender for that scope. Powerful, portable and versatile :icon_biggrin:

Inclined to agree...

IMG_20200204_195015675.thumb.jpg.bef0217c4b7adff9416f5193e346a917.jpg

...provided you've got a decent finder :happy11:

IMG_20200204_214012244.thumb.jpg.3493bdf80a8d7c56be19acb02bd6af25.jpg

• Like 1