SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

196 years later...

astroavani

spacer.png

Wilhelm Lohrmann 1824 Sinus Medii original chart and the February 1, 2020 register by the  Brazilian selenographer Avaní Soares! 
A nice comparison between early XIX century well drawn lunar features and details by Lohrmann and 200 years later, the expertise of Avaní and his incredible hi-res images!
This clearly shows the importance of lunar visual observation and sketching and high-resolution lunar photography!!!

An important point to observe on 1824 Lohrmann's charts are the gradual albedo markings, one of the interesting innovations at the time and certainly not an easy thing to accomplish, to properly measure and translate into a beautiful done engraving!

Some interesting features, in the 200 years old Lohrmann chart, are absent. For example, the Rimae Triesnecker structure on the left side of crater. Although some albedo difference was noted by Lohrmann that vaguely follow this rimae path. Certainly, other craters and details are missing. Why? Well, that is the fascinating aspect of comparing a 200-year-old chart with an actual hi-res photography! Perhaps the original Lohman’s telescope aperture was not enough to observe some details, perhaps he has not the visual acuity to observe them or the Sun inclination was not the best at the moment of the observations... Anyway, it’s amazing what a 200-year-old chart reveal!
Text and editing: Andrés de La Plaza
https://www.astrobin.com/full/s7ixwk/0/?real=&mod=

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent image, Avani, and a wonderful juxtaposition. Lohrmann must have been a truly patient man and he was obviously a good observer. I think he would approve of this post and be a prouder man for it.

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2020 at 8:40 AM, Ruud said:

Excellent image, Avani, and a wonderful juxtaposition. Lohrmann must have been a truly patient man and he was obviously a good observer. I think he would approve of this post if he could and be a prouder man because of it.

That's the golden question friend Pete!
Probably the APs of that time will be taking pictures of exoplanets, LOL.

Great work Avani.

I have to admit I did have to Google the word "selenographer", not one I've come across before!

I am in awe of the skill of Wilhelm Lohrmann, amazing observation. Almost makes your work look easy Avani ! 😜