Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyWatcher Skyliner 250PX Dob vs Bresser Messier 8 Inch Dob

Hi all, another newbie here.  After reading many articles (a lot on here) I'm being driven towards a couple of options for my first telescope.  A lot argue that Bresser are better quality but is that extra quality enough to choose an 8 inch over a 10 inch dob?  Another option could be the Sky-Watcher Skyliner 200P Dob which then leaves more money for accessories.  I just want the usual things, moon, planets etc initially and not looking to get into astrophotography at the moment.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/bresser-messier-8--dobsonian-telescope-4716420.html#SID=1684
https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-parabolic-dobsonian-telescope.html#tab-3
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

One of the important things to consider with a dob is where you will be using it.  If you need to get it away from light pollution then portability becomes important - you need to get it into a car.  If you are lucky enough to live somewhere without significant light pollution, then this can be less of an issue.

An 8” will give you great views of the Moon and planets but if you want to look at deep sky objects like galaxies then dark skies and extra aperture of a 10” really pays off. 

John

Hi John, yes it would involve transporting it to use it which leads me on to another question.  Do people generally take their big telescopes out into the countryside to use as I've never actually seen anyone do it?

The Skyliner and Bresser mirrors are about the same so a 10” will outperform an 8”

The difference between the two brands is the Bresser already has pretty well all the upgrades you would want to do to the Skyliner. The Bresser is probably cheaper in the end as you don’t need to upgrade although most can’t resist modding their dobs. It’s part of the hobby. 😁

Also the Bresser has proper bearings, a very good focuser, and uses tube rings so you can adjust the balance easily. 

Edited by johninderby

People certainly do take their big scopes out to dark skies.

There is a group on here that take their dobs off to somewhere dark in Wales quite regularly and we have an annual forum star party where the skies can get quite dark. There are pictures of these events in this thread and quite a few of other dobsonians to give you an idea of what is available, if you are keen :smiley:

8 inch Dobs are usually f/6; 10 inch Dobs are usually f/4.7 to f/5.  So the tube lengths are almost exactly the same, with both fitting on the back seat of a car.

I have both.  I can carry the 8 inch tube in one hand and the rocker box in the other.  I just can't quite manage the 10 inch like this but then I'm somewhat disabled.  It would be a lot easier for someone able-bodied.

However mine are both made by Orion Optics UK, that are a fair bit lighter than both the equivalent Skywatcher and Bresser.  What's more, the rocker box is much smaller and less bulky, that helps no end with carrying it as you can hold it close to your body.  The OTA has full circle altitude rings that make a very good handle.  The quality is even better than the Bresser.

I wanted the best and biggest aperture Dob I could transport and, after trying lots, decided to look for a used 10 inch from Orion Optics UK.  I couldn't find one at first but came across an 8 inch that I snapped up.  I had to wait another year for a 10 inch to become available.

However there's a 10 inch Orion Optics UK just gone up on the classifieds here on Stargazer's Lounge!  My advice would be to grab it as you may have to wait ages for another to turn up.  Go to 

Edit note:  Although I wrote this earlier I wasn't able to post it as we lost the internet.  I see Alan has posted in the meantime about his Bresser.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MP21 said:

Hi John, yes it would involve transporting it to use it which leads me on to another question.  Do people generally take their big telescopes out into the countryside to use as I've never actually seen anyone do it?

Hi Mark,

as John said, lots of people go to to dark sky sites, both as a group and individually. There was a thread recently about the wildlife sounds that you can encounter. 

John

The 8 inch is a very good size to start with BUT if portability is not really an issue I would get the 10.

The 10 is alot bigger and heavier if 90% of the time you will just bring it from the house to the backyard then no doubt the 10 is a perfect size that will probably last many yrs.

Joejaguar 

4 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

The 8 inch is a very good size to start with BUT if portability is not really an issue I would get the 10.

The 10 is alot bigger and heavier if 90% of the time you will just bring it from the house to the backyard then no doubt the 10 is a perfect size that will probably last many yrs.

Joejaguar 

In the OOUK ones not much of a step in weight from 8 to 10, hence why I went for a 10.

• Like 1

One of the big advantages of the lower weight and smaller footprint of the OOUK Dobs is that nearly everyone will be able to manage one size up compared with mainstream models.

The OOUK DOB mount is in a class of its own, plus being aluminium and therefore waterproof should much outlast the (fibreboard?) competition.

Like the Bresser the OTA can be rotated for the most comfortable position, plus the tube can be moved up and down for balancing.

OOUK optics are hand-made and have an excellent reputation for quality.  The one advertised is 1/6 wave compared with 1/4 wave or better for the Chinese mirrors and so is likely to perform better.

I've kept the 8 inch because they'll probably come a time when I won't be able to manage my 10 inch.  New ones are justifiably expensive and used ones are a devil of a job to find.

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 1