SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from North Devon

Spider-Man

Hi, my name's Peter Parker, yes really.  Like my namesake, I'm a keen photographer.

I have always been interested in space.  I don't yet have a telescope but, am looking to buy a Refractor & suitable mount for astrophotography, so though joining this community would be a good place to start.

• Like 1

Welcome to SGL.  You have come to the right place for advice and you look as though you might have already investigated what equipment to buy.  But if you are not sure please ask before you make an expensive mistake, especially regarding the mount.

Photographers often have a bit of a shock when they try to get into astrophotography, as it is far more complex than they had expected.  But it's a great hobby once you get the hang of it.

Carole 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, carastro said:

Welcome to SGL.  You have come to the right place for advice and you look as though you might have already investigated what equipment to buy.  But if you are not sure please ask before you make an expensive mistake, especially regarding the mount.

Photographers often have a bit of a shock when they try to get into astrophotography, as it is far more complex than they had expected.  But it's a great hobby once you get the hang of it.

Carole 

I appreciate that the mount is just as important as the telescope as stability is key for taking quality images.  I'm torn between getting a substantial tracking EQ mount (SW EQ5 or better) or, getting a lighter more user friendly and portable set up like a SW Sky Adventurer or iOptron Sky guider pro set up. I'd welcome your thoughts. 

You might find it useful to check out your local AS: http://northdevonastronomy.co.uk/  They will no doubt have observing sessions, where you can have a look at the different mounts available.

Personally I'd go with the best mount you can afford. I found that for generally getting acquianted with the  night sky, a pair of 10x50 binoculars (or a cheap grab & go scope), and a copy of Stellarium (http://stellarium.org/en_GB/) very useful.

Cheers
Ivor

Welcome to the lounge Peter, there’s a lot of good people to learn from here. I’d second Aramchecks’ point about picking up a good pair of binoculars as they’re a great way to learn the night sky.

Slightly off topic but the book that got me back into astronomy and one I recommend to everyone is: Binocular Highlights - 99 Celestial Sights for Binocular Users by Gary Seronik. Now in its second edition. It’ll introduce you to some great targets for photography and help you learn to navigate our skies.