Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW StellaMira Refractor Telescopes

FLO

Big congrats guys! I'm sure this marks a new era for FLO :)

I remember seeing the 104mm at IAS2019 and loved the build, livery, name, and especially the fact that it had 2 ED elements...I didn't realise the third element on these triplets was Lanthanum! like you get in those very special little Vixen EP's! Takahashi, APM, Televue and the like had better watch out!

I'm getting back into imaging but crikey that 80mm f10 looks something special too.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Any suggestions of where these type of handles can be sourced. 
Scopes look spot on @FLO, Btw 

John 

Apparently you can get one if you buy a StellaMira scope from FLO... I don't imagine they'll want to devalue the brand by making them too readily available.

The shape of the handle is quite interesting.  It looks as though it has been designed to allow something else to be mounted on it.  It reminds me of a gun sight mounting rail, and I believe there are RDFs that are designed to fit such a rail.

James

Edited by JamesF
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Any suggestions of where these type of handles can be sourced. 
Scopes look spot on @FLO, Btw 

8 hours ago, JamesF said:

The shape of the handle is quite interesting.  It looks as though it has been designed to allow something else to be mounted on it.  It reminds me of a gun sight mounting rail, and I believe there are RDFs that are designed to fit such a rail.

Well spotted. The handle is essentially a ’Tactical Rail’ which is normally mounted atop rifles and is designed to accept rifle scopes, red dot scopes and boresighters (Long Perng manufacture those too). 

HTH, 

Steve 

On 31/01/2020 at 14:15, FLO said:

We have chosen two triplets and a doublet from LongPerng in Taiwan. Taiwanese-made telescopes cost a little more than most similarly specified Chinese-made models but we are launching a new brand so wanted something special.

Congratulations on the new brand.

That 80mm F10 looks quite unique.

I understand if you dont want to go into too much detail but I am very curious, do you select from a catalogue of available lens designs or are you actually able to have them make a lens to a unique specification?

Adam

21 hours ago, Adam J said:

I understand if you dont want to go into too much detail but I am very curious, do you select from a catalogue of available lens designs or are you actually able to have them make a lens to a unique specification? 

I think you are asking about the f10 80mm ED. We approached LongPerng around a year ago with a list of requirements. We couldn’t find what we wanted in their existing portfolio so asked them if they had something in the pipeline that would meet our needs. They said they did. There were some communications, we received some samples for testing, some more communications, then we placed an order. When the telescope’s arrived we delivered them to Es for testing. And here we are. 

HTH, 

Steve 🙂

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Wanted to check. Does the 80mm f10 definitely come with the handle?

Yes. Definitely. It is supplied with a red-anodised handle 🙂

I will make some more photos of the telescope with handle fitted Mon/Tue. 

Steve 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GazOC said:

They certainly look stunning, I know telescopes are "for looking through, not looking at" but I much prefer a bit of colour over the plain white that most scopes seem to sport

I respectfully disagree.

I agree that these scopes do look stunning. But I think it's the red hardware that really catches the eye. And there seem to me to be just as many, or more,  non-white refractors sold these days as white ones.

I will always prefer a white tube myself, not only aesthetically, but because in use the white tube shows up more easily in the dark, and because they don't show lots of fingermarks like shiny black ones do.

I think FLO are to be applauded for bringing an ED apo doublet at F10 to the market, and it would be great if this could be extended to a 100mm F10 in the future. 

I wish FLO every success with this very interesting new range:hello2:.

Dave

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, FLO said:

Yes. Definitely. It is supplied with a red-anodised handle 🙂

I will make some more photos of the telescope with handle fitted Mon/Tue. 

Steve 

Thanks for confirming that. 👍🏻

80mm f/10 now ordered. 🙂

John

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I respectfully disagree.

I agree that these scopes do look stunning. But I think it's the red hardware that really catches the eye. And there seem to me to be just as many, or more,  non-white refractors sold these days as white ones.

I will always prefer a white tube myself, not only aesthetically, but because in use the white tube shows up more easily in the dark, and because they don't show lots of fingermarks like shiny black ones do.

I think FLO are to be applauded for bringing an ED apo doublet at F10 to the market, and it would be great if this could be extended to a 100mm F10 in the future. 

I wish FLO every success with this very interesting new range:hello2:.

Davehis frac. 🤔🙀😁

One person's solution to the “which colour frac” question. 😁😁

01A48ACC-EEDF-4D65-84AE-15350FE14A66.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi All, it would be nice to know if the handle`s have a smooth underside, i ask only that W/Optic original handle on the mk1 GT81 looked very tactile but had hard edge`s  on the underside and when the scope had been out for a time the hard edge and the cold made using it very uncomfortable, i ended up wrapping tape around it.

I wish FLO the best of luck with their new endevour.

Regards

Mike