SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Two further Cepheus variables

Tuesday night looked very promising. I started with V965 Cepheus which has a period of  around 2 hours.  I still find it mind boggling that a star can pulsate with such a short time scale.

V965Cep-graph.png.8a9b8799b2b7a142dad31aed0169a041.png

Having taken enough readings  for two cycles I moved on to V973 Cepheus which has a period of 1.9 hours but unfortunately the sky was becoming rather misty until it finally prevented any further readings.

V973Cep-graph.png.b1c42ab6d68b93cd8ddad6f01dac93a5.png

Both were taken with a Johnson V filter. V965 Cep with 2 min 2x2 binned images and V973 Cep with 30s 2x2 binned images

Dave

Edited by Dave Smith
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, lukebl said:

Nice work!

What software are you using to determine the magnitude? Last time we communicated you were using Muniwin.

Thanks Luke. I stopped using Muniwin some time ago when AstroImageJ became available. Muniwin seemed to have a mind of its own and it was not clear (to me anyway) what the various settings did. There were occasions when only half of the measurements were accepted with no apparent logic. AstroImageJ is free and works well. See my tutorial at the beginning of this section.

Dave

Edited by Dave Smith
spelling