Narrowband

Astro-Imaging talk to 10 - 14 year olds

Skipper Billy

I have a presentation on astro-imaging that I have used several times with adult groups and even though I say so myself it is fairly well polished now.

I have been asked to give a presentation on the same subject to the local Scout group who I understand are between 10 and 14 years old.

Its a long time since I had any discussion or interaction with someone that age.

Anyone done anything similar, got any pointers ??

Attention span, what interests someone that age??

• Like 1

Have a chat with the scout master, but from my experience in a previous life with giving talks to younger teenagers, you can treat them as you would your adult audience.  If they are smart enough to want to hear what you have to say, they’ll be smart enough to understand it, or to ask questions if they don’t.

Only thing was that I never talked to the coerced - attendance was on a voluntary basis.  I got the odd querulous sceptic (my subject matter was environmental management at modern power stations!) but no real trouble makers.

Not sure they’ll be too many flat-earthers among the scouts...

Well, let's start with a 'well done' for volunteering 👍

A couple of questions come to mind;

- is your adult presentation aimed at complete astro-novices?

- have the scouts had any previous astronomy talks?

My inclination would be to make it an astronomy talk building up to a big AP reveal with single short-exposures to show the sort of thing the eye can see, single longer exposures to show what the camera can do, then stacked images to show what all that money has been spent on 🤣

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hallingskies said:

Have a chat with the scout master, but from my experience in a previous life with giving talks to younger teenagers, you can treat them as you would your adult audience.  If they are smart enough to want to hear what you have to say, they’ll be smart enough to understand it, or to ask questions if they don’t.

I will and I am hoping he/she can give me some guidance!

5 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

Well, let's start with a 'well done' for volunteering 👍

A couple of questions come to mind;

- is your adult presentation aimed at complete astro-novices?

- have the scouts had any previous astronomy talks?

I didn't - I was press ganged ! 😉 

My existing presentation is aimed at adults with very little previous astro experience - I am hoping I can chop great chunks out and recycle it to suit as it took about 30 hours to put together ! Its also way too long I would think for 10 - 14 year olds - its about 75 mins.

Thanks for the suggestions.

At that age its got to be delivered in a dynamic way, although they shouldn't be logged into social media sites at that age I can imagine many of them having mobile phones and data - you either ban the phones from the talk or get them to use them - give them something to do - something like Stellarium or Skymap apps. might be a useful diversion to show them if things start to flag.  They will appreciate 'hands-on' things - do you have any older kit things that you would be happy to pass round and give them something to look at.  It might seem mundane, but even an old plossl EP could be handed around to effect.  I expect they will be interested in the computing aspects too, perhaps even something a bit niche,  Maybe if you have something like a RPi in use to drive some of your systems - some of the audience may have used these at school.  I think the thing to do is to make it relevant to them.  I def. know from STEM events that things you can pick up and hand round work wonders.    These are picture of the last STEM event I went to.  I try to make the content of the boards relevant to the students and they love picking up and handing round all the molecule nets that I have bought over the years.

20191115_115343.jpg

20191115_115335.jpg

20191115_115329.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipper Billy said:

If its a clear night maybe binos on a tripod or my wee Heritage 130 might keep them interested. At least some fresh air would wake them up!

That's the right sort of idea I think.  I took my 200P to the Basildon street fair with a sun filter - the sun didn't make an appearance all day (rolling eyes smiley needed), but the children and a good number of adults were still really interested to see an aerial on top of a distant building and I had great fun explaining why it was upside down - it's funny how many people didn't even spot that it was!!  A good clear night would be the icing on the cake, but even if you only set it up inside the hall I doubt that many of them will have even seen a 'real live' telescope, much less realised that you can buy these things for a back garden.  Just because your talk is astro-imaging doesn't mean it has to stop there.  Why not ask the scout master if they can be asked to all bring a cereal box, some small amount of tin foil and a white sheet of paper, take some sticky tape and get them all making pin-hole viewers to see the sun through the next time it makes an appearance?  Anything related and practical will grab and keep their attention.

• Like 2

Have you got a usb3 zwo camera?  If so, you can easily link up to a phone using the asicap app and show live views and take snaps.  You could then demonstrate how different exposure lengths affect the image etc.

If it's clear you could then get them individually to take quick snaps that they could take home / share.

Have fun!

Helen

• Like 1

@Helen Ha, ha I've just noticed this Science is wonderfully equipped to answer the question "How?" but it gets terribly confused when you ask the question "Why?" I've always maintain that the most important thing a teacher should do is to explain the "Why".  @Skipper Billy don't forget how important the "Why" is when you speak to your Scouts. 😄 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Helen said:

Have you got a usb3 zwo camera?  If so, you can easily link up to a phone using the asicap app and show live views and take snaps.  You could then demonstrate how different exposure lengths affect the image etc.

If it's clear you could then get them individually to take quick snaps that they could take home / share.

Have fun!

Helen

I like that idea !

Although today is exactly 3 months since we last had a clear night so I dont want to hang too much on the chances of a clear night!

In my experience, a younger audience is less likely to enjoy sitting patiently just listening to your expert delivery, as an adult audience normally would. That will work for about 10 to 15 minutes and then the 'less focussed' amongst them will start to fidget and wander 'off topic'. I would suggest adding plenty of interactivity to your session - that can be in the form of things to hand round, but absolutely key to keeping their attention is to ask them questions. Don't just put a picture of the Moon up (for example) and tell them it's the Moon and how you made the image, ask them what it is (yes, an easy one to start!) and what they know about it already, guess some answers, etc. Give them plenty of opportunities to talk, that will keep them listening. Gauge their ability to answer as you go along and pose questions of a suitable level. You will undoubtedly find that there will be one or two amongst them who love anything space related and will want to answer / comment on everything. Spread it out and make sure you pick others with their hands up to give answers too!

Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy the experience and will find it very rewarding.

Edited by PhotoGav
  • Like 3

Interesting thread and helpful to me in giving a talk on astro-imaging.  I expect my audience to be adult though there's no reason why children sholdn't attend.  When I discussed my talk with the organisers of our group (Local village social society) they advised keeping it to no more than 45 minutes.  I am thinking of taking a small telescope and tripod mount as I too think some hardware to show what's available would be good. 

11 minutes ago, Gina said:

I think that would be very helpful - thank you.

Here you go - feel free to do whatever you wish with it - I am not interested in copyright or anything and my name doesn't appear on any of the images. (It's outside the visible field)

Also feel free to take a peak and then drop it in the recycle bin !

Hopefully its of some use.

Astro Imaging V2.pptx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

get a mobile phone adapter, and let them take their own pictures

1. Its interactive

2. they have someting to show others

3. They have something to take home, and maybe print

4. They will remember much more about the talk

5. Add at the end of the session, a Q & A, They will have questions, you may not have thought about

Edited by Frank the Troll
  • Like 2

Astro-imaging specifically? I'd have to think about that one.

I'm a NASA/JPL Solar System Ambassador myself and have done general astronomy talks about night sky objects, some of the amateur equipment, observatories and space telescopes. I've done both adults and kids groups. I go into more technical details for adults than I do kids groups though.

Most kids these days aren't interested in technical details though. They do like pretty pictures and animations to explain general concepts though. They are very visual and hands-on learners at that age. Keep it to less than 30 minutes with an activity or viewing to follow.

@Skipper Billy I've started to look through your talk.  It looks great for adults, but for an audience of 10-14 year olds it might be politically correct to remove the bit about long cold nights spent imaging passing quicker with a bottle of Scotch!!  You might want to change that to a mug of hot chocolate!!! 😉

21 minutes ago, JOC said:

It looks great for adults, but for an audience of 10-14 year olds it might be politically correct to remove the bit about long cold nights spent imaging passing quicker with a bottle of Scotch!!  You might want to change that to a mug of hot chocolate!!! 😉

But they will all be Scottish kids !! 😉 

• Haha 3