Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show Us Your Dobs

38 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks Baz.

I reckon the transparency will be quite good but the seeing not so steady. It's a bit blustery here so I'm going to be sticking to low to medium magnifications anyway.

A better DSO night than a high power observing one perhaps ?

Now I've said that it will probably turn out to be quite the opposite :rolleyes2:

I think you could be correct, the sky is crystal clear and there for hopefully the transparency will be good. Seeing might be a little on the wobbly side though. However I for one am glad to get the opportunity to go out and view. Get to know there will be plenty of other observers out there also.

I wouldn't mind a DSO night. I haven't had a huge amount of success with these so far, the LP is making life difficult. Anything in particular you are hoping to view?

Baz

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I think you could be correct, the sky is crystal clear and there for hopefully the transparency will be good. Seeing might be a little on the wobbly side though. However I for one am glad to get the opportunity to go out and view. Get to know there will be plenty of other observers out there also.

I wouldn't mind a DSO night. I haven't had a huge amount of success with these so far, the LP is making life difficult. Anything in particular you are hoping to view?

Baz

I'm going to be doing the front and back ends of Leo (and between the Lions legs too !), Ursa Major and, if I stay up later the "bowl" of Virgo and Coma Berenices. There are simply loads of galaxies around those areas.

The easier ones in Leo are M65, M66, M105, M96 and at the "snout end" NGC 2903 is quite bright.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Here are a few images you'll not see often. This 10" Dob doesn't see much light with a 4" Tak about, but last night I treat it to a view of the Moon and Venus in the Pleiades.

I'm sure you enjoyed every minute of it, Mike 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

I hope you have some sun glasses Mike.  Otherwise you'll be blinded by the brightness of the images after being so used to only using a 3.9 inch refractor.  😀

Haven't you heard Paul, - size isn't everything! 😅 Although I must admit an extra 0•1 of an inch is very appealing. Think of the light grasp and resolution gain I'd have. I'll write to Tak and ask for my money back!😂  

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Haha 1

On 28/01/2020 at 14:44, johninderby said:

Do ypu find it a bit scary when you realise how many scopes you’ve owned???  🙀🙀🙀

Yes!

Speaking of which...

UC 15 on the bench:

16351988445_d3c52a711a_z.jpg[/url]

And Teeter 317.5mm Journey. I was the plank holder on this design. I got the first one. It was brilliant! Super light, super easy to move about, and wonderful views. Unfortunately with all my injuries from rugby and other stupidity when I was younger Dob's are not an option for me...

33904763364_3a97f5eb4c_z.jpg

Rob Teeter does brilliant work. I was thinking if I could come up with a system like Elvira a fully motorized setup that my friend down under has I might actually be able to use a Dob. A nice 559mm f/3 from Rob.  Drive it up into the SUV and off to the dark site. Or pull it out of the garage, collimate it, and off to the races.  It is unfortunate that he has stepped away from production. He advertised the Journey as an airline portable scope. It actually was. It had to be checked luggage but it would go with you:

34615537351_56f5cd52b1_z.jpg

Edited by Dr Strange
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

The little 76p sits in the bay window!

Now I have a small and medium dob. Just need something large! Watch this space 🙂

Baz

DSC_0502.JPG

Define large, please!😱

I can't complain. Both it and a pair of Morpheus turned up by 10am this morning, out on the lawn early evening to cool and a quick collimation check. Not much wrong there, so returned after 9pm for first light. Venus a crisp little crescent, then revelled in some moon for the rest of the evening. May add a knob or handle as per John above, because by the time I've added a camping mat dew shield, it's nice to have something to tug it around with.

IMG_20200408_224423.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Nice to more Bresser dobs showing up. 👍🏻

Like so many things since I was last passing through these here parts, things have moved on. The trusty SW 200p is still the king of cheap views, but the Bresser makes an exceedingly strong argument for spending a bit more to get a properly equipped and finished scope. It simply feels and operates a lot more expensive than the price difference would suggest.

Of course, that does not mean I won't tweek it a bit, but my expectations and wants are very different this time around.

Serious amounts of road cycling has joined hi-fi as my joint money-pit, so astronomy expenditure will be focused on value for money rather than doubling budget to chase an extra percent. 8-10" Dobs fit that bill and based on previous experience the extra £100 (is it even that?) for proper bearings, tube rings to help with balance and a very good standard focuser is money worth spending. When I was last about you almost needed to spend double £100 to get shot of that bloody awful SW focuser and now scopes come with this?!?!

Russ

Yes the SW dob is still a good basic dob for those on a tight budget but as you say things have moved on a bit. The Breeser is a bargain in it’s own right considering how much scope you get for your money. 

I added the dual speed upgrade to the focuser, changed the finder shoe to a Synta type and fitted a RACI finder and a Rigel Quickfinder and the handle to the front and castors to the base.

A622248F-4AE9-455F-B02D-731730CEB4A2.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, russ.will said:

@johninderbySome questions if I may?

Which length Bob's Knobs are they - 35mm?

I assume it's the tiny grub screws on the focuser base that allow the focuser to rotate?

Did you do anything to ease the action of the base?

Russ

The secondary knobs are simply black stainless steel thunb screws bought of Amazon.. Can’t remember the length but will have a look for the originals and let you know.

Yes the grub screws in rhe sides of the focuser base let you rotate it. 

Found the best thing for the base was simply polishing the metal textured ring with metal polish and making sure the centre bolt wasn’t too tight.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1