SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show Us Your Dobs

55 minutes ago, Piero said:

Here's mine. Mirror cell was modded.

I'm going to change some other things in the coming months but nothing big.

IMG_20200227_172414.thumb.jpg.c816463012adc5b8be764802a902d9eb.jpg

IMG_20200201_121245.thumb.jpg.d9c0d198718110dd7f9958cb5e65958a.jpg

IMG_20200131_235329.thumb.jpg.84c87e681d5f7a3aeb70fb5efdf3344f.jpg

You should use nylon pads for the mirror not felt 👍

I'll join the thread;))

I've had my dob for almost 3 years now and it has (and is still) served me very well. I've brought it to plenty of public events and I've found that it's often the best scope there.

public 3

IMG_8488

Skærmbillede (4)

hbUGVbz.jpg

Great to see so many dobs out there!

Victor

• Like 4

On 11/03/2020 at 15:41, garryblueboy said:

They are nice scopes give a nice image 

Thank you Gary,

In my opinion it is the best value beginner scope around. It has shown me some stunning views and opened my eyes up and really got me into astronomy. I don't think I will ever sell the little 200p

I can see you have experience with some very nice larger dobs from 12 to 18" In you opinion what has been the sweet spot in performance and portability? I would like something in the 14" region next.

Regards

Barry

• Like 1

I’d say 14 ” inch is the sweet spot as just light enough to be portable but big enough to show good results the Sumerian Ultra I had was 14 but the scope was to flimsy to hold collimation where as the David Lukehurst is nice and sturdy but still portable 

On 13/03/2020 at 08:17, Rainmaker said:

NICE !!!  More pictures please. Great choice of focuser and finder too. How is the thicker mirror for cooling, do you have active cooling with fan/fans?

Just for you

DSC_0170.JPG

DSC_0357.JPG

DSC_0187.JPG

• Like 4

This is my 8" Goto truss-tube SW 200P (the first of these of this size on this thread I think) doing outreach work as a solar viewer, except we didn't get the sun out that day apart from literally the 30s I took this photo!!  so no filter present and it is actually looking at a distant aerial 

telescope outreach sm.jpg

It has a modified focus wheel to help with fine focus (I can't justify the expense of a Lacerta)

IMG_4112a.jpg

and is normally used with my favourite Y set up of finders Finders2.jpg

and here is her solar filter

IMG_3743.JPG

• Like 3

John that OO 12" dob is pukka!  I bet the views are ace. I would really like an Orion model next around that size. When I have fully explored the 200p I will consider looking for one and a more premium brand of eye pieces to suit.

That said the 12" OO on  ABS with steel track focuser for £600 has had me sweating recently 😁

How do you think the sky will behave tonight. It looks amazing out but in my limited experience I don't know if that is a good thing?

Baz

3 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

John that OO 12" dob is pukka!  I bet the views are ace. I would really like an Orion model next around that size. When I have fully explored the 200p I will consider looking for one and a more premium brand of eye pieces to suit.

That said the 12" OO on  ABS with steel track focuser for £600 has had me sweating recently 😁

How do you think the sky will behave tonight. It looks amazing out but in my limited experience I don't know if that is a good thing?

Baz

Thanks Baz.

I reckon the transparency will be quite good but the seeing not so steady. It's a bit blustery here so I'm going to be sticking to low to medium magnifications anyway.

A better DSO night than a high power observing one perhaps ?

Now I've said that it will probably turn out to be quite the opposite :rolleyes2:

• Like 1