Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Machining suppliers for adapters

Looking for recommendations on how to go about finding a supplier for machining adapters, e.g. for connecting a new focuser to the scope. 

Does anyone have experience of this? The commercial adapters seem quite expensive and I wondered if it'd be cheaper to go direct to a supplier. Also might take some confusion out of the process when ordering online.

If you can produce a reasonable drawing of what you want then it might be worth looking for a local machine shop who can make it, or perhaps seeing if there's a local model engineering club where someone might care to do it for the cost of the materials and a few beer vouchers.  Or get in touch with Chesterfield Astronomy Society to see if they can help out?

James

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Frank the Troll said:

I need someone to make an adapter to fit a standard SW focuser to an old 125 frac

Do you just need a spacer to sleeve the focuser out to fit the 125mm tube?

James

2 hours ago, Richard136 said:

Looking for recommendations on how to go about finding a supplier for machining adapters, e.g. for connecting a new focuser to the scope. 

Does anyone have experience of this? The commercial adapters seem quite expensive and I wondered if it'd be cheaper to go direct to a supplier. Also might take some confusion out of the process when ordering online.

Try RCM Engineering in Dronfield (Tel: 01246 292344 and ask for Pete), they've machined a few parts for me.

John 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Frank the Troll said:

This is whats needed tube is ID 125 OD127

Hmmm.  Years back I made this which includes a 50mm thread on one side, cut by turning the lathe by hand:

part1.jpg

part2.jpg

To join a standard SCT focuser to the etalon of my PST:

joined.jpg

I think 127mm is too large a diameter for my lathe through.  It will clear the bed, but I'm fairly sure I can't get a cutting tool to the outside of anything more than about 110mm diameter (or if it's possible, I failed to work out how).  I'll check later.

James

• Like 1

Had an adapter made by Telescope Express to fit my new 1.25” Crayford to the SCT thread on my Bresser 127 mak. Bit expensive but since I bought the focuser from them it was easier to have them do it and it is a perfect fit.

E6C23684-8518-4AB7-9F72-582936741736.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1