SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cabling help needed!

Astrokev

2 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

Thanks Alex.  Any special reason for going with the 30A version?

What I have done is I ran conduit to pier , at pier I have a box with 12 v  to power mount , also a usb3 cable to pier from shed, at mount a powered 12v usb hub , shed has a mini pc which I control via any desk  from laptop in house  I have internet in shed via power line adapter , I have a deepskydad 12v dc hub on scope feeding power to auto focuser and a usb powered lead  to power Nikon d5300 , I power usb  hub off Mount as I did the power connector mod on Eq6 so use old power socket  for hub power .

59 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

What I have done is I ran conduit to pier , at pier I have a box with 12 v  to power mount , also a usb3 cable to pier from shed, at mount a powered 12v usb hub , shed has a mini pc which I control via any desk  from laptop in house  I have internet in shed via power line adapter , I have a deepskydad 12v dc hub on scope feeding power to auto focuser and a usb powered lead  to power Nikon d5300 , I power usb  hub off Mount as I did the power connector mod on Eq6 so use old power socket  for hub power .

Thanks. I'm assuming you've run mains voltage to the 12V box at the pier?  I want to avoid installing any mains voltage in the scope room ie. outside. I'll get a PSU and keep this in the warm room and run 13.8V to the pier from there.

4 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

I wanted to only 'ever' buy the one, so it was a bit of future proofing. Plus, the screw down terminals are to the rear rather than up front

That sounds good.  It's always tricky to know what future needs will be. At the moment I can't see my needs going above 5A, but something to consider I suppose.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks. I'm assuming you've run mains voltage to the 12V box at the pier?  I want to avoid installing any mains voltage in the scope room ie. outside. I'll get a PSU and keep this in the warm room and run 13.8V to the pier from there.

Beware of voltage drop with long lengths of cable and low voltages. 

46 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

No mains psu running 12v to pier 13.8v at pier  👍

• Like 1

Following the great advice and recommendations, I've decided on the Startech USB 3 powered hub to start building my new cabling layout.

I've measured the cable run I need, which is 4m minimum.

Do I need an active USB cable for this distance, and if so, is there a particular brand that I should consider?

EDIT - looking on Amazon, I'm struggling to find active USB 3 A to B cables. Lindy do a 10m one, which is way more than I need. Don't seem to be able to find any others. 🤔

Thanks for the continued support :) 

Edited by Astrokev

• 2 weeks later...