Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan Goto setup (location)

Hi, first time trying to setup my synscan az go-to mount. I'm ok with everything up to the location part, if I use the location on stellarium Do I use the GPS coordinates or the longans lat I have attached a photo of the coordinates on stellarium.

Thank youScreenshot_20200127-073759_Stellarium.thumb.jpg.98e1e68c73c35e851fbd0afd8ead5b63.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve Clay said:

Download an app called synscaninit to your phone. It will give you all the stuff you need for the synscan data fields in the correct format.

Steve

Cheers for the I for about the app, works great but still unsure of what sky area I should use. 😕

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Is this for the Brightest Star alignment ? Choose the part of the sky you can easily see and recognise stars in that area.

Its just for setting up before I get to the alignment part, right before it asks for North, east, South or west sky. I thought it was asking what part of the UK i was In

When actually using the alignment like brightest star then you choose the area of the sky you are observing in and can see, for example I usually pick North East and South East as I can only see north to south but can't pick either as I have Street lights and can't see the stars.

13 minutes ago, Lordspace said:

Its just for setting up before I get to the alignment part, right before it asks for North, east, South or west sky. I thought it was asking what part of the UK i was In

The brightest star alignment method asks you to choose an area of sky you can see , this can be any part of the sky. The handset will then select the brightest star in that part of the sky. The handset will then give you the approximate location of the star (azimuth and altitude). Using the handset's direction keys, steer the mount on to the star, centre it in the eyepiece and then press enter. The handset will now select a second star and automatically slew towards it. Once the mount has stopped use the handset again to centre the star in the eyepiece and press enter.

19 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The handset will now select a second star and automatically slew towards it

This is where you have to do your homework. My experience is that the initial suggested 2nd star is often behind houses/fences/trees, and, if you select that star and realise the problem, and stop the slew, you have to start again with a first star. It is better to step through the list of suggested second stars, to get one that you are fairly sure that you can see (and recognise in its constellation). The "Brightest star" alignment also gives you the option of a 'planet + 2-stars'. This requires a manual slew to the planet, (Venus is good for me at the moment), and does an automatic slew to both alignment stars.

Geoff