Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Donut ring around the bright star

SamuraiOZ

Hi all,

As shown in the attached picture, I'm annoyed by the donuts ring around the bright star.
It was stacked and enhanced from 20 shots of 300sec exposure with h-alpha filter on 200/800 F4 reflector telescope.
Before stacking, each shot is subtracted by dark frame and divided by (flat - dark) frame.
Flat frame is taken at the neighboring sky with translucent cover using exactly same telescope settings.

Has anyone had the similar experience using reflector telescope?
I appreciate if someone can share the technique to avoid this donuts ring or remove it in the post-processing.

DonutRingOnIC434.jpg

Coma corrector! Yes, I'm using MPCC-MARK III with the filters.

Is there any idea to reduce reflection from coma corrector such as anti-reflection coating or something?

Edited by SamuraiOZ

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Does spacing mean the optical axis alignment?

Yes, it is another issue on my telescope. Since my F4 Newtonian has offset, I can not use laser collimating tool. I'm wondering how I can align it.

10 minutes ago, SamuraiOZ said:

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Does spacing mean the optical axis alignment?

Yes, it is another issue on my telescope. Since my F4 Newtonian has offset, I can not use laser collimating tool. I'm wondering how I can align it.

What I was suggesting is that the distance between the CC and CCD plane isn’t exactly what it should be.  That might be 55 or 57mm for example. 

I've never attributed rings to be down to the CC but that's perhaps because I haven't thought of it. I'd like to see some comparitive images. 

This is a well known, challenging star for all scopes. 

The problem I had with the Baader CC was that it was causing my stars to bloat. This could have been because my scope is f/4 but it does seem to be a widespread problem when you start search the internet for it. 

EDIT: Just noticed you're also running f/4. Mine is the SW Quattro. If it's the same I would suggest getting the CC made for the Quattro. 

Edited by Peje

Yes, I'm using exactly same newtonian SkyWatcher Quattro 200/800 F4.

OK, I see. The issue caused by the incompatibility of Baader CC and my telescope.

I will consider purchasing SkyWatcher CC for F4.

Anyway, thank you guys for a lot of reply and suggestions!