Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus and Neptune Conjunction

As stated under the 'upcoming events' tomorrow should see a very close conjunction between Venus and Neptune. I have had thick cloud all day but in the last 15 minutes the sky has slightly cleared. Using my Helios Apollo 15x70 binos and checking the location of Neptune in Stellarium I was  able to see both planets in the FOV.

I placed Venus in the centre and Neptune is 2/3rds towards (Psi) 90 Aquarius.

If it clears tomorrow it should be an interesting site with the Moon making a threesome on the 28th.

• Like 7

You were lucky to get a view Mark - it's been pretty solid here all day and through the evening. It has cleared a little now but too late for the conjunction. I'm hoping for better luck on the 28th.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John said:

You were lucky to get a view Mark - it's been pretty solid here all day and through the evening. It has cleared a little now but too late for the conjunction. I'm hoping for better luck on the 28th.

Same here John.  The clouds have been solid. Finally started to break about 9pm. Better this morning, fingers crossed it clears for us all through the day.

Baz

At the moment we have a clear spot so I have taken out the Heritage 130P. Viewed the 13% Moon and also Venus. However, its still too light to pick up Neptune. Hope the clear spell continues for a bit longer. 

Update - 17.45 - observed conjunction using a Celestron 10mm 68 degree EP - mag - 65x

Will try 6mm Ethos if it stays clear - not looking too good at the moment - clouds moving in.

• Like 1

Clearish here as well but I put my back out yesterday and I'm rather immobile currently :rolleyes2:

Managed to get a nice view of the thin crescent moon and Venus with the 11x70 binoculars. Not going to risk a scope though. Neptune is pretty close to Venus just now according to Cartes du Ciel - about 8.5 arc minutes. Hopefully I'll glimpse Neptune in the binoculars as it gets darker.

52 minutes ago, John said:

Clearish here as well but I put my back out yesterday and I'm rather immobile currently :rolleyes2:

Managed to get a nice view of the thin crescent moon and Venus with the 11x70 binoculars. Not going to risk a scope though. Neptune is pretty close to Venus just now according to Cartes du Ciel - about 8.5 arc minutes. Hopefully I'll glimpse Neptune in the binoculars as it gets darker.

John sorry to hear about your back pain. Hope you get chance to use the binos and pick up the conjunction.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

At the moment we have a clear spot so I have taken out the Heritage 130P. Viewed the 13% Moon and also Venus. However, its still too light to pick up Neptune. Hope the clear spell continues for a bit longer. 

Update - 17.45 - observed conjunction using a Celestron 10mm 68 degree EP - mag - 65x

Will try 6mm Ethos if it stays clear - not looking too good at the moment - clouds moving in.

Excellent Mark. Nice to hear you got our and cought a glimpse. I bet it is amazing. Fingers crossed for a clear sky tomorrow.

Baz

1 hour ago, John said:

Sorry to hear about your back John. I am often having back problems myself and I find bending arround the dob causes a fair amount of pain and can be a bit of a no no. Hope you can enjoy the views with your bins. Get better soon 👍

Baz

Edited by Barry-W-Fenner
  • Thanks 1

Clouded out before it got dark enough to spot Neptune with the binoculars, unfortunately. I think one of my 4 inch refractors would have shown it somewhat earlier but I didn't want to push my back that far.

Thanks for the good wishes by the way, they are appreciated :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Caught a glimpse of Venus and crescent moon on the drive home but alas rain and horizon to horizon cloud by the time I got home. 

Hoping for better tomorrow.

Glad that some of you managed to get a glimpse though 

• Like 1

I was out with the SW 80ED to see the crescent Moon, the forecast was poor (complete cloud) and nothing else was showing at the time.  I wasn't expecting to have a chance to observe the conjunction so hadn't planned to.

Anyway I had some nice views of the Moon and then Venus popped out amongst the cloud, made a pretty sight with the Moon below right of it.  As it got a little darker Venus kept popping out, so rushed inside for my binoviewer and 24mm  Orthos  - this gives a half degree field and a mag of x100.   The fact that the variable star Phi Aquarii is close by is very handy for making sure you're looking in the right place.  At round about 5.30 I thought Neptune flashed into view.  If that had been it, then I wouldn't have been sure it was Neptune.  With some glare from nearby Venus on the light cloud that was passing by and not really sure if the conditions were good enough to see a planet at mag 7.9 I wasn't convinced.  However, before I was enveloped by cloud at turned 6 pm I had several other glimpses, one of them was much clearer than the others - though all were extremely brief they were all in the same place, and there were no other contenders.  Venus and the thin waxing crescent Moon were well worth the effort even if Neptune hadn't been involved, a nice unexpected session.

As I came indoors a gritting lorry went up the hill in front of the house, and when indoors the forecast indicated the 'tops' would likely get some snow.  Looks like an early start for me tomorrow to clear any snow to get to my hospital appointment.  Don't you just love Yorkshire 🌝?

I

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Saw a very hazy Venus through a layer of cloud, but didn't bother with a scope. Shame, hopefully someone got a glimpse of Neptune?

You know it's a poor sky when we can't even get a decent view of the extremely bright Venus. I am really hoping we a get a much better sky tomorrow night.

regards

Baz

2 hours ago, John said:

Clouded out before it got dark enough to spot Neptune with the binoculars, unfortunately. I think one of my 4 inch refractors would have shown it somewhat earlier but I didn't want to push my back that far.

Thanks for the good wishes by the way, they are appreciated :icon_biggrin:

We need you back in the field John giving us some friendly advice 😁

4 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Just had a look out the window, the sky is clearing, Orion and Sirius looking great. Better late than never I guess.

Same here Barry, clearing too late to see it.

• Like 1