Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Very Late M29

PhotoGav

This data set has been sitting on my laptop since early October last year, waiting to be processed. Well, today was finally the day...

Messier 29 is an open cluster about 5,000 light years from Earth in the constellation of Cygnus. It can be seen pretty easily in binoculars and is often called the 'stubby dipper' or 'cooling tower' thanks to its characteristic shape. It sits right in the plane of the Milky Way and is dense with stars, though it is interesting to note the relative lack of stars in the top left corner. The background is not evenly smooth as there is quite a bit of nebulosity in this region.

M29-LRGB-10-Flat.thumb.png.2951a93cd22ad6379ff8f44863a8fd16.png

Technical Details

Celestron EdgeHD 8", QSI 683-WSG8 with Astrodon 31mm Filters, Mesu 200

R & G = 25 x 300s each
B = 32 x 300s
Total = 6 hours 45 minutes

All in all I'm fairly pleased with this one. It's all about the stars, which are not really the best possible. There is a bit of chromatic abberation or something like that going on with some of them, but that seems to be the price I pay for using the Edge 8". At least the guiding was lovely and the star shapes aren't too bad. I hope you like it.

I have two other projects waiting to be processed - hopefully I'll get there before too long!

Clear skies!

Edited by PhotoGav
  • Like 5