Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Webb Society

I know many people are aware of the Webb Society but I just thought I would put together a little note. First formed in 1967 the Webb Society was named after Thomas William Webb, author of Celestial objects for Common telescopes and over a fairly short period produced 7 handbooks covering various aspects of deep sky observing, all by volunteers. Although these are no longer in print they can often be found cheaply second hand and are still a valuable resource for deep sky observers. The society now has memebrs all over the world and publishes a regular deep sky magazine. It also has a website where there is information on the other publicatiosn we do as well as a double star of the month and a galaxy of the month at www.webbdeepsky.com. The society also hosts an annual meeting in Cambridge (UK) at the IOA and entrance is open to all, details on the web site. The society does tend to have a stand at most major star aprties as well as at the main trade shows (with the exception of AstroFest as that is too expensive to go to) so pop aroiund and say hello. We do also have a Facebook presence. Anybody with an interest in deep sky observing is open to join.

Owen Brazell (Webb President)

I have a couple of Webb Society Deep Sky Observers Handbooks, bought in 1980 and well used. Not had much involvement with the Society, but I really should have, thanks for the reminder, I shall go and investigate the website now!