Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simeis 147 - The Spaghetti nebula

MartinB

This project has been on the go for a couple of months.  The Ha is very faint but the OIII is ridiculous!  

Captured using my widefield set up of a Canon 200mm F2.8 lens with an ASI 1600 mono camera.

Baader 7nm Ha and OIII filters

198 x 5min Ha and 121x5 min OIII.  

Captured with SGP, Processed using a combination of PI and PS

I knew there wasn't much OIII but I just wanted a few wisps to act like mascara!

Simeis 147 bicolour 1.jpg

• Like 47
  • Thanks 2

Nicely resolved at the small aperture of the lens. I like the mascara on the nebula, less so on the bright stars. 😁 (I still use your 'bling' expression for Ha in galaxies and can see 'mascara' being just as useful!) This is a very punchy and exciting image. And what an object it is!

Olly

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

Nice detail. Not sure about the colour though, it's a bit too pink for me.

I know what you mean about the colour Michael although I don't think it is far off being correct.  It is very easy to slide the colour over a little but then for some eyes it will be too magenta!

38 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Nicely resolved at the small aperture of the lens. I like the mascara on the nebula, less so on the bright stars. 😁 (I still use your 'bling' expression for Ha in galaxies and can see 'mascara' being just as useful!) This is a very punchy and exciting image. And what an object it is!

Olly

Haha, I think the touches of OIII just give it a little lift but oh the work involved!  The OIII signal is barely visible even with 11 F2.8 hours of integration.  I did a screen blend with  a starless layer onto the orignal and that finally brought out a little detail.  I was thinking the finished process was a bit punchy but I liked it, not a process for the purists!!  Now I've calmed down I will probably go back to it and try to produce a slightly more sober version.  I could knock those bright stars on the head as well!

33 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Now I've calmed down I will probably go back to it and try to produce a slightly more sober version.  I could knock those bright stars on the head as well!

Slippery slope Martin :)

Wow, though. Lovely image. 11 hours to get the OIII!!!

James

• Like 1

Looks good to me.

My only observation is because you have had to stretch this proberbly more than you,d like, to bring out the detail ,the noise is just starting to have a slight effect.

But nonetheless a cracking image.

Mick. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, astro mick said:

Looks good to me.

My only observation is because you have had to stretch this proberbly more than you,d like, to bring out the detail ,the noise is just starting to have a slight effect.

But nonetheless a cracking image.

Mick. 

Yes, some of the features within the "spaghetti" are at the limit but it took 18 hours of ha at F2,8 to show them at all!  I think I will spend some time on a different process which will be a little more subdued but probably wont be as deep.

26 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

This is a really nice image, Martin - I do wish that my QSI 683 WSG-8 had sufficient back focus to use with my 200L lens!

You can buy the low profile front sans guider as per Robs setup.

Dave

1829755547_QSI683Samyang135.jpg.d97523caa4d0f4dd0c6bf5afc59a13e1.jpg

51 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

You can buy the low profile front sans guider as per Robs setup.

Dave

Thank you Dave - indeed this is a solution but at quite some price (😱) and sadly, I have a self-imposed moratorium on astronomy spending at the moment! Maybe one day .......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steppenwolf said:

This is a really nice image, Martin - I do wish that my QSI 683 WSG-8 had sufficient back focus to use with my 200L lens!

I have a non OAG front for my 532 but unfortunatetly I don't think this will fit your 683 ☹️  You would have been welcome to borrow it.

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I used to say that but now decided life's too short and getting shorter by the day 😂

So true.......

2 minutes ago, MartinB said:

I have a non OAG front for my 532 but unfortunatetly I don't think this will fit your 683 ☹️  You would have been welcome to borrow it.

Thank you for the thought anyway, Martin - much appreciated.