SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Two small Planetary Nebula ( the Eskimo and NGC 2438 )

Craney

Evening all,

After a few crazy tiring nights when the skies have been patchy on and off since sunset then clearing post mid-night, I am thankfully sitting down and catching up on my processing.

Here are two cheeky little Planetary Nebulae.   Both imaged LRGB with the Celestron Edge (0.67x)  and the Atik 414ex mono.

NGC 2392  (known as the Eskimo Nebula )   in Gemini.... (  10x1min Lum  5x30s 2x2bin for RGB) .     It's bright but small and so prooves difficult to extract any great detail.

1725866433_ESKIMOLRGBcolorjpg.thumb.jpg.5965fca1ea4413e00824b17757246539.jpg

Then there is NGC2438 in Puppis.  In fact it is actually sat there inside another deep sky object, an open star cluster,  M46 .

The Ring Nebula obviously has gone on a Winter Holiday to South of the celestial equator.

Really low and fleeting from my backyard.  Same as before ( 10x1min Lum  5x30s 2x2bin for RGB)

772178633_M46LRGBcolor.thumb.jpg.9c99f87842c576fd5bc7a6e5ab5cf549.jpg

Hope you like them.

Sean

• Like 10

Hi Tom,

Yes, good point.  I had set up the scope originally for a bit of galaxy work , the Super Nova in M100 and  a few of the old classics in Leo and Ursa Major.   Seeing that Canis Major was well placed and only available for about an hour or so with the neighbours fence looming, I went for Thor's Helmet trying to get some of the fibrous nebulosity that I had seen in pictures on Astrobin.   Then one thing led to another.......  :) 

These are totally new objects for me,  and sometimes you never really know in advance what the surface brightness will be in RGB. I didn't have lots of time to track the objects down...!!!

Another important  detail is the density of stars in the surrounding image.   So, I always like to have decent FOV to get enough stars in the image for stacking.   Also the  guiding is more forgiving at 0.67x as well....

The Eskimo is certainly worth another go at the full F10 !!!!!   (  ooops!!... controversial  for DSO  imaging types...)

Sean

• Like 1

Thanks Adam.    Well I took the plunge for the C8HD  in order to catch these lovelies.     

There are a surprising number of the little beasties around.  I came across a chart of the more well known Planetary nebulae, like this....

Post image

Just look at them !!!!!     Like some exotic box of chocolates......   or  key for identifying bio luminescent plankton  !!!!    I want them all .......<manic laugh>

It'll keep me happy for a few seasons for sure.

Sean.

Edited by Craney