Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dithering problems with CEM60, PHD2 and NINA

old_eyes

Apologies for cross-posting, I got no response in Imaging Discussion and wondered if the mount experts on this forum might be able to help.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a permanent setup now available I am cautiously extending my methods to include advanced topics I had not considered before. Usually this causes me to commit some newbie error or other that confuses and frustrates.

Today it is dithering.

So. CEM60EC mount, PHD2 guiding, NINA control and acquisition.

Short focal length (500mm) so I asked for 5 pixel dither. Using 4 sec exposures on PHD2 so allowed 30 sec settle time.

Here is a section of the PHD2 guide log:

824684074_200120Dithering.thumb.png.7ead1712f1de64379e775835005ee63f.png

DEC (red) is doing pretty much what I would expect, but RA makes the move then dramatically overshoots in the other direction before slowly returning to stable. PHD2 report failed settling, but NINA carries on happily taking the next frame before the settling delay is completed.

Am I setting the parameters in the wrong place? Am I setting completely the wrong parameters?

I get the same behavious with APT in control.

Any suggestions?

I should mention that partly because this is an early experiment, and I also wanted to get some useful data as well I am dithering every 5 subs.

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

What's your dither in phd set to spiral, random? There's a checkbox for RA only...

Maybe between software's it's fighting each other..

I will check when I get back from a trip. Tbh I just left everything at defaults except for settling time and dither step.

16 hours ago, michael8554 said:

I replied to you twice in your original post........ 

I won't bother again. 

Michael 

I am sorry you feel that way Michael. Your comments and ideas are valued. As I noted in both threads I am on the road at the moment and sneaking looks at SGL in the gaps. I replied to your first comment in the other thread with the information you asked for and have just replied to your latest comment (I cannot provide the information you request until I get back to base).

The essence of SGL is the support, expertise and advice that we offer to each other. I depend on that support as I try to develop my skills and I offer what limited support I can to others. I will continue to ask and to give, and to respect everyone who contributes.