SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some initial thoughts.....

Hello everybody!

I want to share my beginning in Astronomy. It could have been started long time ago. my uncle has a observatory at home! I remember it since I was a kid. He built it by himself, with this big dome, surrounded of hundred of books. he even teach Astronomy in college ( was a biologist though!). Although the telescope and all the gadgets always gave me curiosity I never spent time with him looking the stars. I still can remember those planetarys stuck on the wall......I guess he must be a good astronom stargazing just with the eye!

From what Im telling, has past more than 30 years. Now im in my forties with 2 small buggers and actually living in UK.( as youd have guessed with my not perfect English)

On Christmas my 6 years old son said that he wanted a Telescope for Santa Claus. A good idea, I though! when speaking at work about this, one of my colleagues told me she had a telescope that was not in use from his now old son. Goood! free Santa present I thought!

He loved the telescope in Christmas day. It really looks nice. We waited for a few days until we used. Focus that telescope is more difficult that getting a teddy bear in  the Christmas fair. I downloaded one app to tell me what whas that shinny star in the sky. Oppppps! not a star says the app! its venus! It looked ............mmmmmmm, ( shitty). My son was expecting to see some martians, probably streets and a couple of spaceships.... how disappointing see a shiny point!!!

I realized that the telescope was a toy. The legs moved more than the hips of Shakira. And impossible to see something decent. I liked though the next part. We got into home and we read about Venus. A couple fo data to remember. That's it! but very cultural! Next target was vega! we caught it and we read about it!

I think im going to get something decent. Something I can enjoy and try teach some things( that id have read previously..... I don't mind spending money in things that bring culture at home ( Ive plenty of uncultural stuff, ipads I mean....)

As a gadget lover, ive dome some research. I think my natural upgrade would be a celestron 6 se. but I don't like the idea that only can be moved with controller. Come on! telescopes has to be moved with hands!

as a serious amateur photographer ( have canon 40d , several scopes, tripode, mac pro....) I like  idea of learn astro photography in future, and I don't want to invest twice, so  I was thinking about the eqh5gt mount. I know its more difficult but my question here is......if is going to be moved with goto why should it be more complicated?????? and If kids wants to find stars, they can move the telescope in az mode.

Having in the shed the mac pro, if in future I begin photo, I just have to have a long cable to connect everything.

So my initial thoughts would be skywatcher eqh5gt mount and a William optics 73. And the wifi cable! connect it to ipad must bring lots of fun for daddy and kids deciding what to see. Around 1600 pounds in total. A lot of money to invest in the short term, but if is used, a good all life investment.I just paid 200 pounds tax and didn't get fun!

by the way, I cant cope with the freezing  nights, I don't know how you can be looking stars when in 4 degrees........I think well be  summer-astronomers!

any thought about my possible purchase?

• Like 1

"I just paid 200 pounds tax and didn't get fun !"

I like your attitude to life !

I'm more into visual astronomy, and the one piece of advice I would offer is maybe think of getting to know the sky and brighter DSO's with a pair of binoculars first.  A decent pair of 10×50's can be had for under £100. 

All the best with your adventure. 

Hi FMA and welcome to the forum!  Before you buy anything for astrophotography you must buy a book called 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards, it may save you from some expensive mistakes, found here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Edited by rwilkey

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 12:19, rwilkey said:

Hi FMA and welcome to the forum!  Before you buy anything for astrophotography you must buy a book called 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards, it may save you from some expensive mistakes, found here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Bought, thank you!

On 24/01/2020 at 12:13, FMA said:

any thought about my possible purchase?

My advice:

• stay active on SGL (probably not going to happen)
  • find an astronomy club in your area and join it
  • ask these people lots of questions
  • at the club, watch folk use their equiptment
  • find a mentor
  • after a few months you will have a better idea whether AP is your thing.
Edited by Rob Sellent