Rowan AZ100 dual scope alignment

Stu

I've just recieved an adjustment plate from Rowan, having had some chats about making alignment of dual scopes easier as referenced in the AZ100 owners thread.

Some of these adjustment devices can be over engineered, and provide way too much adjustment. The requirement here is to provide a few degrees offset to compensate for any differences in scope optical axis or mounting hardware. It is normally altitude which needs adjustment, but I have also had instances where the scopes are out in azimuth. Dave at Rowan said they would try to provide adjustment in both directions, and that is just what has been achieved.

What I recieved is a very neat plate, which sits between the alt axis and the saddle, exactly matching its profile so it looks very integrated. You attach the plate first, then attach the saddle to the plate. I understand that additional threaded holes are required in the saddle which are not there on any units supplied already, but Rowan will modify these free of charge if needed. They sent me an already modified saddle so I could try the system out.

The back of the new plate has an aluminium block with two grub screws which act against an allen bolt which is fitted to the back of the saddle. This effectively pivots the saddle in the altitude axis. This arrangement is highlighted in red in one of the images.

There are four additional grub screws, two each end which can be used to push either end of the saddle out in order to give an amount of azimuth adjustment. This is highlighted in blue in the same image. It is not easy to describe, but hopefully the pictures help explain and once you see it, the functions are obvious.

I've yet to try this out but am sure it will give plenty of adjustment in both axes. I said to Dave that I had original envisaged a round plate. The actual plate looks very neat, and the benefit of the rectangular design is that it allows easy adjustment with the scopes fitted.

So, yet another example of the responsiveness of the gents at Rowan, and also their ability to design simple but effective kit.

I will update the thread when I've had a chance to use the new adjustment plate.

20200123_193828.jpg

20200123_194349.jpg

20200123_194357.jpg

20200123_194403.jpg

20200123_201747.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, johninderby said:

So it looks like it will only work with the Rowan saddle then unless mods are made to another brand of saddle. 

Yes, that's correct John. The saddle is held to the plate by four bolts in each corner, and it also holds the Allen bolt that the alt adjusting grub screws push against.

Whilst there may have been an option for something more generic, this makes accessing the adjustments easier in think, plus gives the az adjustment.