SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NW Scotland

Fantastic, should had guessed really based on your user name. I have good memories trekking through Knoydart and climbing its Munros, it is quite a special landscape, there seems to be good work undertaken in recent years in rewilding programmes by the John Muir Trust. Very remote location, quite understand, when its good its good.

4 hours ago, Knoydart said:

When it's good, it's good. 4 hour window on Saturday. Photo credit to my friend at M.H. Photographic.

That's excellent! I'm in NE Scotland, some dark spots here but not that dark, requires a bit of a drive to get to mine. Light pollution map shows somewhere around 21.98-21.99 SQM for Knoydart, in other words, Nirvana!! (when weather cooperates of course). Bet it's amazing there. 

1 hour ago, Ships and Stars said:

That's excellent! I'm in NE Scotland, some dark spots here but not that dark, requires a bit of a drive to get to mine. Light pollution map shows somewhere around 21.98-21.99 SQM for Knoydart, in other words, Nirvana!! (when weather cooperates of course). Bet it's amazing there. 

Yes. Mallaig is the only fly on the ointment, but you can escape from that very easily as it's only a degree or so off and across the horizon, maybe not even that. After living over much of the UK, I would peg for the handful of clear nights that we get under these truly dark skies, over any of the other night skies I have found myself under, irrespective of how frequent the skies are clear.

When the weather plays ball (been in a sea cloud since Saturday) our skies dropping into the north Atlantic, silouetted by mountains and islands are an experience like no other. 

Edited by Knoydart
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Fantastic, should had guessed really based on your user name. I have good memories trekking through Knoydart and climbing its Munros, it is quite a special landscape, there seems to be good work undertaken in recent years in rewilding programmes by the John Muir Trust. Very remote location, quite understand, when its good its good.

Thanks! Yes JMT have done good work over on the North side. Getting the boat around to their mooring is quite the sight and experience. Life returning to the wet desert!

Edited by Knoydart
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...