Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

carastro

Cone and Christmas Tree Nebulae NGC2264

Also taken from Davey T's back garden in Swanley Bortle 6 (as per explanation in "Anybody Playing tonight" thread) since I have a big tree in the way at Home in Bortle 8. I also took Oiii and Sii but it did not add anything to the colour, so as I had already taken some RGB as well, "just in case" I processed HaRGB

Atik460EX & WOZS71 HEQ5
Ha 22 x 600
RGB 9 x 150secs binned each
Total imaging time 5 3/4 hours

N.B. See tweaked image posted further down on 25th January. 

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 20

Hi Carole, I think this turned out really well. My initial impression was it was a bit smooth, but the longer I look the more detail I see and the more I like it. I think that the Ha has given it a slightly pink look, which can often happen with Ha, but it is still a very pleasing image. Geof

Thanks Geof, I am not really a great fan of Pink either, but I played around with it in the small hours last night, and it was the best option I could come up with, I am not keen on the sludgely browns, so it's a compromise at the moment, but I will take another look at it and see if I can produce a better colour.

Carole 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Hi Carole, I think this turned out really well. My initial impression was it was a bit smooth, but the longer I look the more detail I see and the more I like it. I think that the Ha has given it a slightly pink look, which can often happen with Ha, but it is still a very pleasing image. Geof

I completely agree and went through the same thought process... thought it could bare a bit more sharpening but then decided I really like the more ethereal look that Carole's sympathetic processing has produced.  I'm not normally a fan of the pink either (though bright red can also grate a bit with me) but here it just seems to work with the hot blue stars.  Very nice indeed Carole.

• Like 2

Thanks X6gas, I did do a little bit of selective sharpening, but decided too much would spoil it.  

Carole 

OK I have done a redder version and did a bit more selective sharpening and a little noise reduction in the background areas.

Which do you prefer?

Cone Nebula HaRGB RED.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

Hi Carole, sorry to be obtuse, but actually I prefer V1. My comment about the pinkish look wasn't a criticism, just an observation and I liked how it turned out. V2 looks more smoked salmon coloured I think.... Geof

• Like 1

Had a feeling that might be the response.

Lol

Carole 

• Haha 1

Hi Carole.

I think you have done an amazing job at processing this Nebulae,one I have yet to try .Your initial gut instinct for number one was correct,at least with me,there is something about it that gives it a more balanced look.

There is always a but though.The blue halo around the stars is this unavoidable?However very nice.

Mick.

Thanks Mick.

The blue halo around the stars is this unavoidable?However very nice.

This is something I am struggling with at the moment.  My blue stars always come out bigger than the other stars, and yes, I have re-focussed.  I have also tried to shrink the blue stars before combining.   So far I haven't found a solution, and I can assure you the final result looks far better than my original process (ask Davey T, he was watching me and giving words of advice while I was processing M42 which had the same problem).

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

There is always a but though.The blue halo around the stars is this unavoidable?However very nice.

I have found an Action for improving this, I don't normally use actions, but until I find a way to do this myself, this will help.  Thanks for the nudge.

thought it could bare a bit more sharpening

Done a bit more sharpening.

Thanks Guys.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Excellent Carole, I love the mistiness of it and the little  wisps of soot at the bottom!