Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cone and Christmas Tree Nebulae NGC2264

carastro

Also taken from Davey T's back garden in Swanley Bortle 6 (as per explanation in "Anybody Playing tonight" thread) since I have a big tree in the way at Home in Bortle 8. I also took Oiii and Sii but it did not add anything to the colour, so as I had already taken some RGB as well, "just in case" I processed HaRGB

Atik460EX & WOZS71 HEQ5
Ha 22 x 600
RGB 9 x 150secs binned each
Total imaging time 5 3/4 hours

N.B. See tweaked image posted further down on 25th January. 

spacer.png

Edited by carastro
  • Like 20

Hi Carole, I think this turned out really well. My initial impression was it was a bit smooth, but the longer I look the more detail I see and the more I like it. I think that the Ha has given it a slightly pink look, which can often happen with Ha, but it is still a very pleasing image. Geof

Thanks Geof, I am not really a great fan of Pink either, but I played around with it in the small hours last night, and it was the best option I could come up with, I am not keen on the sludgely browns, so it's a compromise at the moment, but I will take another look at it and see if I can produce a better colour.

Carole 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Hi Carole, I think this turned out really well. My initial impression was it was a bit smooth, but the longer I look the more detail I see and the more I like it. I think that the Ha has given it a slightly pink look, which can often happen with Ha, but it is still a very pleasing image. Geof

I completely agree and went through the same thought process... thought it could bare a bit more sharpening but then decided I really like the more ethereal look that Carole's sympathetic processing has produced.  I'm not normally a fan of the pink either (though bright red can also grate a bit with me) but here it just seems to work with the hot blue stars.  Very nice indeed Carole.

• Like 2

Hi Carole.

I think you have done an amazing job at processing this Nebulae,one I have yet to try .Your initial gut instinct for number one was correct,at least with me,there is something about it that gives it a more balanced look.

There is always a but though.The blue halo around the stars is this unavoidable?However very nice.

Mick.

Thanks Mick.

The blue halo around the stars is this unavoidable?However very nice.

This is something I am struggling with at the moment.  My blue stars always come out bigger than the other stars, and yes, I have re-focussed.  I have also tried to shrink the blue stars before combining.   So far I haven't found a solution, and I can assure you the final result looks far better than my original process (ask Davey T, he was watching me and giving words of advice while I was processing M42 which had the same problem).

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

There is always a but though.The blue halo around the stars is this unavoidable?However very nice.

I have found an Action for improving this, I don't normally use actions, but until I find a way to do this myself, this will help.  Thanks for the nudge.

thought it could bare a bit more sharpening

Done a bit more sharpening.

Thanks Guys.

spacer.png

• Like 3